UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just been driving a 2.5tdi 150 A6 2wd and have noticed its substantially slower than my 180 quattro i have 30 bhp more but also 4wd incorperating transmition loss and weight i would'nt think there would be that much difference between the two but mine is a LOT quicker it revs better doesnt tail off close to the red line and has loads more torque low down ....... question is mine could have been mapped before i got it but how do i tell without a £70 rolling road bill is there any vagcom settings which i can map boost or torque to compare with another 180

·
Registered
76 Posts
BHP is a rubbish measurement for TDI cars. It's all based around the torque the engine produces multiplied by at what revs it produced it, all divided by 6250. So at 6250 rpm, torque (lb/ft) = BHP.

However, this means that for a car like a turbo diesel that gives LOTS of low down torque, the BHP figure is relatively low, but for a car (think V-Tec) that revs high, a low torque figure at those high revs will give a higher BHP figure, even though it may not have enough torque to pull the cream off milk at low revs! [8-|]

The difference between a 150 and a 180 will be substantially more than 30lb/Ft of torque, which is why it'll feel massively quicker. The difference between a 115bhp 1.9 PD diesel and a 130 is night and day (I seem to remember it being in the region of 50lb/Ft through the rev range!)

Ah, I've just noticed the post date on this, but seeing as I'd typed the above, I'll post it anyway! [doh] [whistle]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
[quote user="Henny"]

Ah, I've just noticed the post date on this, but seeing as I'd typed the above, I'll post it anyway!

[/quote]

Good thing you did - that's a very informative post and I'm sure it'll help others looking for info in the future [Y]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts