UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the Audi forums....

I have recently sold my MK4 Golf GTi, and I am now looking to replace with a A4 (saloon or avant) S Line 2.0TDi...

All the ones I have seen on Auto Trader are 100+k miles...should this be something I should worry about? obviously they will more than likely of been motorway miles...

I have just over 8k to spend...

also is there anywhere else worth looking to buy one? I have really only looked on Auto Trader and Piston Heads..

Cheers

Ric

·
Registered
926 Posts
Morning mush.

You're going the same route as I went a few weeks ago. I'm still looking, and decided that An A4 is perhaps going to be out of reach as I can't find the right one. Here's my thoughts.

Yep, high miles for the money you're spending I'm afraid. They seem to command a premium for the S Line spec. However, I'm currently in a Seat Altea with the 2.0tlr TDI engine and it's done 113k miles. The engine is still sweet as a nut, and hasn't had anything done to it at all. Bodywork and running gear is only a little different, it's only had a wheel bearing on the back, and the bodywork obviously isn't up to Audi standards.

Full service history with the correct oil is a must, due to the pd injector system. After that, there's not a lot to say, just a matter of waiting for the right one. But a low mileage S Line A4 for 8k is gonna be a fair wait I think.

If you're looking further in the range, avoid the TDV spec cars. They're the ones with the DPF system ad they look really cheap when you're scanning Autotrader, but factor in the problems you'll have and a grand for DPF replacement, and they're not such a good deal.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
welcome, Ric.

I'd say as long as they've been properly serviced and looked after, 100k+ isn't much of an issue.

Are you looking for a b7 or b6 ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

Damian - I am looking for a B7 (I think?! 2005 model see image)

again I am open to either saloon or estate at this moment in time as I like them both....(lots)

The mileage thing doesn't 'really' bother me as my father in law is a mechanic. I think its more of the thing it will always play on my mind...(why I don't know)

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I suppose the thing with higher mileage is the fact that you wont find it as easy to sell in comparison to a low mileage example. Its just how people think.

I wouldnt let the mileage bother me and id take each car on its own merits. You can find abused examples with 50k and showroom conditioned ones with 130k on them.

The same as was said above from Rustynuts, make sure they have a full service history as its a must with the Tdi's.

Mine has 165k on it (03 plate) and it runs as sweet as a nut and is spotless. Id prefer a motorway miles car than a round town car anyday.

Ps. In my sig is a link to a thread on here of common faults to be aware of with any A4.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the info again guys....

roughly price wise what should a 130k 2005 (55 reg) be going for? 2.0tdi

I am going looking at one tonight, that it just shy of 8k...

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spec is something like: 1 Owner F audi SH, Air conditioning, CD Multichanger, Child
locks, Cloth upholstery, Climate Control, Park distance control, Rear & front armrest...

erm yeah!

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
[quote user="Rustynuts"]

If you're looking further in the range, avoid the TDV spec cars. They're the ones with the DPF system ad they look really cheap when you're scanning Autotrader, but factor in the problems you'll have and a grand for DPF replacement, and they're not such a good deal.

[/quote]

Are you referring to problems with the DPF? They're not that bad, as long as you're doing a couple of decent length trips a week and not just using it for short journeys. Besides, if you buy a VCDS cable you can force a regeneration anyway so you don't have the huge DPF removal / replacement bill.

Mine's a DPF and I've had one problem in 18 months, which was a faulty exhaust pressure sensor. Other than that, I've never seen the DPF light on.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Okay if you're not having problems. The issue is that at higher miles the DPF has to be replaced as they fill with ash. The way they work is that the soot (particulate matter) is collected in the filter, then the ECU runs a regeneration program which burns off the soot and leaves ash. This is can't be removed, and when the filter is full, it needs a new 'un. That's what I mean by them looking like a cheap deal compared to the non TDV cars, but that's why fleets get rid at about 70 - 90k. You buy one of these, and not long after you need to spend loads to get the DPF replaced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damien - yes, more than happy with everything, as I mentioned in an earlier post my father in law (the mechanic - always handy) took a good look over it and "ok'd" it...good enough for me!

Dave - I got the avant, 2.0TDi S Line - Metallic Grey (kind of gun metal grey is the way I have been describing it)

I have wanted an Avant for a couple of years but never had the money. Initially I was looking at getting a B6, as money wouldn't stretch to a B7...glad I waited!

I'm at that stage now, where you have put you deposit on a car and you just want it!!!

Don't want to be waiting!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Well done mate, i love gun metal grey. looking forward to some pics

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Looks very sweet. Very jealous!

Ps. You can change the thread title if you like by changing the title in the very first post of the thread

1 - 20 of 23 Posts