UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, pretty new here as im always on the golf forum lol..i did post here a while ago but didnt get much feedback!

basicaly two problems with our 2003 a4 cabriolet ( 3.0 v6).

the first problem is that some of sort fan kicks in after the car is used which sounds like a sort of quiet vacuum, this fan comes on and knocks itself off every few minutes ALL night, thus draining the vattery every day lol. we bought a new battery before we knew of this fan thing, so theres no faults with the battery.

anyone have any idea what it is? i havent really got access to VAGCOM so i cant diagnose whats up, ( anyone in south wales willing to help il be happy to give a few £ to sort us out!)

so yeah, thats the main problem. hwoever because of this, we have been disconnecting the battery for the last few nights.. tonight we went to do it and i snapped the ffking bonnet lever in the drivers foot well lol, so how can i get into the bonnet [bag]

appriciate all your help guys!

irfan

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I'm pretty sure Stevee did a write up about the bonnet release...I think!

Re. the fan issue, I seem to recall there's a sensor on the rad that might be at fault. I've just tried searching ASN but the search doesn't show anything from before the site upgrade [:mad:].

Vag-com is the way forward really.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
First, to get into your bonnet you will have to take off the trim around the lever. First open the drivers door. The fuse box is located on the side panel (ie if the door was closed, you couldn't see it or get to it as the door butts upto it)
take the fuse box cover off, then remove all interior plastic trim below it as far as the bonnet lever. You will need access to the lever mechanism. Then you will have to repair / replace mechanism. In the mean time pull the wire pull cord with a set of pliers to release the bonnet. I can get u a partnumber if you like for mechanism. Will post in a min for the fans

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Ps all that lower trim around by the door is held on by clips, so be forceful but gentle at the same time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the replies guys.

Stevee thank you for that greatly appricaited, one thing i will asy though is that if you still pull the lever it sort of feels like its snapped on the outside, i.e the bonnet, as opposed to inside the panels and mecahnisms etc. its still attatched buts omethings definetly snapped somewhere if that makes sense, either way il take the panels off tommorow.

and as for scanning with vagcom, we at oneof our shops programme car keys, reset air bag lights etc etc. we dont use VAG COM, but have a system and a modulator called an AD100 which scans most vehicles including vag cars.

when scanning through with this, the system shows no faults which is what has puzzled us really!

may i add ( before anyone suggests dealers!) that audi in cardiff are total SHITE and id never recommend them to anyone after the problems we had with them regarding this and previous other problems with the car which where never solved!

Irfan

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
This should help you then mate.

http://uk-audis.net/forums/p/1890/13210.aspx#13210

If the lever is broken after some research, then the part no should be:

The fans have a control unit, Id take it out and inspect, clean the wiring plugs and all connections. the control unit is part no: 8E0 959 501 AG and are around £200.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That fan control unit also uses a switch thats on the radiator, check that too. If all wiring and earths seem ok, id replace that switch first before the control unit.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Just saw your message dave, think its actually mounted on the rad. Im not sure of the 3.0 though but id say it would have. Id change that sensor as it could be giving dodgy info to the fan control unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brilliant steve thanks for that!

i shall investigate over this weekend weather permitting lol,

shall keep you posted!

Irfan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts