UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks

Here I have a 'problem' with my A3 1.9TDI 110 ATD 2003 which isn't really my problem, but I know how much it annoys me when other drivers intentionally do the same. The problem is I'm blinding other drivers unintentionally with my headlights and foglights. The grill fogs/spotlights go on with the sidelights, headlights and fog lights. Put a few pics below to explain...

With the headlight switch set to off, no sidelights, headlights nor grill fogs. Perfect!

With the headlight switch set to sidelights, I get sidelights and grill fogs. Not a massive issue, just makes me look like a boy racer.

With the headlight switch set to headlights, I get headlights, sidelights and grill fogs on. I now get every car in front or passing flashing their lights or sticking their middle finger up. Sorry, but I'm not doing this on purpose!!

With the headlight switch set to have the fog lights on, the front is the same - headlight, sidelight and fogs on - as well as the rear fog lights as expected.

The images show the light switch position - on, off, and main beam headlights. The second image shows the grill fog lights being on when the lights are both on sidelights and main beam - surely the grill fog lights should only be on when the fog lights are activated by pulling the switch out?

Is this 'normal'? Or a malfunction somewhere? According to the Audi dealer these grill fog lights were factory fitted to the car but needed an hours labour to investigate - I only asked if the guy could come outside and take a quick look to say yes or no, that is/is not normal behaviour.

Anyone else got OEM fog lights like this with this happening?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your front fog lights are not factory fitted. They may be OEM units but they have been retrofitted and are running off the side lights. This I can tell by your headlight switch as, if your front fogs were factory fitted, there would be two fog light settings on your switch which there is not.

Pull one click out and it turns on the front fogs and the second click turns on the rear fogs - this is how it works for factory front and rear fogs. You have only one "step" in the switch which is for rear fogs.

I would suggest getting the correct switch off ebay or a breakers and having an auto electrician wire it in correctly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the interesting part which I forgot to mention.

There was a headlight switch surround (the part which includes the clock light dimmer and headlight adjustment) in the boot in the spare wheel well which was badly scratched, with the light icons barely visible anymore. I had assumed it had been replaced with this one for cosmetic reasons. There appears to be 2 connectors at the back of the light switch - one to control the light switch, one for the clock light dimmer/headlight position. I put the old switch outer cover back in earlier - the fogs/sides/head lights are the same, but the clock dimmer and headlight position switches don't light up nor do they do anything, they both work with the new switch. Just put the 'new' switch back in and the switch does pull out to 2 different stages, so presume this works, but the wiring is incorrect. Oh joys...

Will have a look at the wiring tomorrow...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aah so it was only the surround that was replaced with one from a model without front fogs.

I would suggest tracing the wiring from the fogs to the switch to see what has gone on.It way be that the switch itself has broken and has front fogs stuck on? Try a switch from a friends A3 or Golf mk4 with front fogs and see if that fixes it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts