UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, can anyone offer some advice please?

I'm running Firefox (and have done so for years without issue). Last night, I needed to get some uni research done but the laptop was taking ages to respond - ie loading word and Excel files, firefox.....

I've checked the Task Manager and Firefox appears to be the issue. With it running, it's using between 250,000k and 300,000k. The "Commit Charge" is running at 650 / 1058 M.

Since closing Firefox (using IE atm), the commit charge is at 400 / 1058 (that's higher than normal) but the laptop is responding normally now.

So any suggestions as to what to do, would be gratefully appreciated.

I running XP and am pretty much clueless when it comes to techy issues! [help]

TIA

Dave.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
dave, i ran firefox for about 2 days before i deleted it for good, i am on vista though

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dave, Your not alone, I was having a similar issue on my old laptop using Vista, Firefox was zapping any bit of resource and slowing everything down. [N] I was so fed up with it, imo its not how it used to be. When I got my new laptop I have not even bothered to install it. I know John is still using it and he is forever having problems he is using XP, not quite convinced him to delete it yet but only a matter of time.

Only advise I can offer is uninstall it!!!

[:D]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I think uninstalling might be the only solution. Some of the guys on the sister site have given some advice, which I've carried out but still having the same issue. Wierd that it's just happened alll of a sudden. Been running Firefox for ages, which any trouble at all. In fact, it's been excellent until now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Firefox went a bit pants as it disappeared into version 3 and got very slow. Have you done an anti-virus and anti-spyware scan??

Used to run it on both XP and Mac - gave up thoguh (only have Macs now) so went back to Safari.

It's IE instead - or you could try Chrome (Google) ??

C

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran a quick scan with Kaspersky, which came up clean. Haven't done a spyware scan though. Might just do that now.

I've updated to the most recent version and it seems to be back to normal. Wierd.

Must admit, I did consider trying Chrome. I think Tabs is using it and said it performed well.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have to agree with CkB, Firefox was what IE wanted to be for years, but now it's bloated with all these extras and it just isn't the great browser that it was. I had the same problem you mentioned. I shut down Firefox and sat there watching the memory usage soar like umbrella sales on a raniy day! Personally, I still have it as I like the youtube add-on, but that's all I use it for.

I strongly suggest you try Google Chrome. I find it to be like what Firefox used to be - with a few improvements. Especially when searching through history etc.

One thing with Chrome, use CCleaner to clean its internet Cache every few days as it seems to slow down the program.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Ben. I keep meaning to download Chrome ang give it a go but whenever the laptop's out, I always have other things to do at the moment. I found out what the issue was - one website that i was reading. It was an ad on the page. Someone else experienced the same problems until he installed an ad blocker on firefox.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Google Chrome - works really well. Load up times are minimal and it takes up a lot less memory than FF. I sometimes leave my works PC on overnight with FF open (lotsa' tabs) and by the time I come in the following morning the memory usage is well over 400mb.

I put it down to sites that are now using Flash based ads which reload without the page being refreshed. Just keeps serving new content and with it filling up your memory.

Tried the same with Chrome and it handled it a lot better. Still a bit of memory used but it didn't make the system slow or clunky.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
[quote user="davelincs"]

I have just downloaded google chrome, hope it,s ok, will let you all know later

[/quote]

I have only been using it for a couple of days ,and it seems ok, although i have not used it much,i mentioned it to a couple of lads at work yesterday one of them has been using chrome a while now ,and is very happy with it

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was that your router at home, Damian?

I've downloaded Chrome now. It's a bit strange to get used to a new browser after having firefox for so long......but I like it. Performance wise, it seems to be a bit quicker, not much (placebo effect?). Not keen on the tabs being right at the top but I guess that's just something I'll get used to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts