UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a 130pd diesel model, but may by helpful to other models.

If you break something down blame me :lol:

Deleting the EGR to turbo pipe

To do this you will need two blanking plates that are available from the likes of eGay, but if you work with steel, or like me your dad does then you can just knock some up out of 2mm stainless.

If you plan on making them yourself then order a new gasket for the EGR side of the pipe as this one is more likely to get damaged when removing it, and use it as a template like so

IMAG1916_zps39246a60.jpg

Firstly you need to remove the engine cover that is held on by three 10mm nuts. These are located under the three caps that just clip in

IMAG1933_zpsa8885f7e.jpg

IMAG1932_zpse453e9e3.jpg

Once off you can clearly see the little fellow that needs to be removed going into the top of the turbo filling it with coke making those VNT nozzles nice and sticky, which in turn leads to limp mode once clogged enough, which in turn leads to a dead turbo

IMAG1913_zps53a419fe.jpg

Ideally you want to remove the air box lid as it will give you far more room to work, so it would be a good idea to either do this in line with a filter change to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

There is a how to on this HERE

Once all this is out of the way the only thing holding the pipe on are two 12mm nuts on the turbo end, and two 6mm allen head bolts on the EGR end.

If you don't have the socket type allen bits don't worry as they are of no use for this job, all you need is a 6mm allen key as there is no access to the inner bolt for the ratchet bits due to the turbo feed pipe.

Once all these are off it's just a case of wiggling it out of there which is a bit of an art, so take your time so as not to damage any threads on the turbo studs.

IMAG1914_zps6f7c769c.jpg

You can now attach one to the turbo like so making sure you use the gasket so you don't get any boost leaks

IMAG1920_zps4b95b478.jpg

The other one goes under the EGR, but as you can see the plate is thinner than the pipe you have removed

IMAG1918_zps4f911da3.jpg

This means that the bolts are too long, but don't worry there is an easy solution in the form of two nuts. You simply put a nut onto each bolt before the plate, and gasket to take up the extra length like so

IMAG1919_zps1b5a1808.jpg

Then it bolts on under the EGR like so

IMAG1921_zps86503f5c.jpg

Then you just have to fit a new filter and refit the air box etc and your all done.

· Registered
4,854 Posts
Have you taken the egr and intake off to clean it?
You might get a engine light if you've blocked the egr, not on all models though but after a while some do get it.

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet Steve, but I will be at some point when I get more time, along with taking the IC off for a clean as that will no doubt be half full with oil.
When I do I will also either stick a catch can on there, or do the elephant nose mod and vent to atmosphere like I did on the bora to prevent the IC system filling back up with oil again.

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will always be some in there though as the crankcase is vented into the TIP, and the oil collects at the lowest point which is the IC.

Next time you change the air filter look down the TIP and you will see it's all oily where the breather pipe goes into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.