UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
While changing my CTS on sat I thouhgt It would be a good idea to have a look at the inside of my EGR valve.
Boy was I in for a supprise, It was coated with about 3mm of thick black crud!!
As the vehicle has only covered 40000 miles since new I am disgusted at amount of crap being introduced into my engine by way of clean air legislation. Having spent soo much money on purchasing the car I believed all the emmission devices on the vehicle could do their job without destroying my engine!!
I would also point out I have used the very best oil recommended for this car and halved the service interval, I had hoped this would reduce the amount of carbon build up in the intake side of my engine.
How long would an engine last if we didn't spend time and money cleaning all this crap out?
In desperation I removed the vacuum hose from the EGR actuator but I got a CEL today. So can anybody tell me what will happen if I ignore the light and continue driving the car?
Regards
Phil.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
510 Posts
which engine do you have?

the only way you will get rid of the crud is to blank off the egr or replace it with a delete pipe.

if it is that bad, the inlet is probably the same too

the cel is obviously because you have disconnected the egr. you would have to heva the car remapped to delete the egr on the ecu list.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I have the BKD engine.

Can you recommend a remapping service in the Bedfordshire area?

Regards

Phil.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Its a job that everyone should do. Gav did it awhile back with his A3 2.0tdi and he said it was well bad too. Must get mine off at the next service and give it a good de-coax! Carb cleaner i think could be the best

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
What did you use kaz? So dont leave it on too long, did you use a cloth or like a old tooth brush or something?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just sprayed carb cleaner on and with a small toothbrush, took the crud out!

I got my carb cleaner for £5 from halfords. it was in a black can - it done the job.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also, change all the gaskets and seals..

One of my gaskets perished/scretched a bit and she developed an air leak!

Was all good with new seals though - well worth it. Car was a lot smoother and after it was serviced with some redex, mpg increaed abit as did performance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts