UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought my 03 A4 FSI about 3 weeks ago, and the screen inbetween the dials is showing me how many miles left in the fuel tank at the minute, for the car to calculate this it must be roughly calculating your current MPG...does anyone know how you change whats on the display?! theres the buttons below the dials area which have the check, 0,0, spanner icon etc but the mode one doesnt seem to do anything except take me to the change date/time bit! theres no buttons on the indicators (that i can easily find anyway!) so im truly confused on this one! the car must know how much mpg its doing.....

Anyone know how to do it?

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
399 Posts
On the end of the wiper stalk should be an up and a down button (literally, on the end of the stick, facing the door) which changes the MFD (multi function display) in the dashboard.

Should give you a rotation of miles to empty, current mpg, average mpg, time travelled, and something else i always forget [y]

C

EDIT - or is it the indicator stalk, now I've sat and thought about it I can't remember - either way, the toggle switches are on one stalk or t'other [y]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems to be neither CKB (is it chris? Remember seeing your name mentioned on another thread I think)

well was it an optional extra or something? Weird why i'd have the screen but not the buttons :-s

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it's a 2003 it MUST have a computer display and be the mid-line computer. Even if it's not Highline (the difference can be seen by opening a door on the car with the ignition on - if it shows you a picture of the car with a door open, it's highline, if not, it's mid-line).

If not, I'm uber confused man! Haven't got any buttons on the steering wheel have you??

C

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i i have the highline...i cant get it to show current mpg? when the ignitions on it tells me whether i have doors open by way of a picture so im guessing thats highline? whats midline then? presumably high is 'higher spec' so probably a way to make it show this surely?! unless the indicators have been replaced or something stupid?! [:cool:]

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have a look at this:

See B button on the image - that should be a pair of rockers on the end of the stalk, and should control what's on the display.

It's a bloody nightmare trying to get a good shot at the right angle of this!

Do not confuse with any settings for wiper speed on *TOP* of the stalk, or any reset button (if it exists) on the BOTTOM - we're talking only about the end [:)]

C

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote user="davemk"]

Hmm, wierd. Looks like the DIS isn't on all models and needs activating via vagcom and will require a new DIS stalk - £70 from what I've read, plus the coding. More info in the following links.

Have a double check for the rocker-style switch on the very end of the wiper stalk first though.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=805580

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a4-s4-cabrio/68576-retro-fitting-dis-cruise-a4-b6.html

[/quote]

Had a read of the TSN one in more depth....looks like ill need access to VAG-com for a start. As im new....ill ask what exactly that is, i undertand its basically access into the ecu and so edit the programming in there? and a new indicator/wiper stalk that has the rocker buttons on. mine definetely doesnt have any switches on at all on either of them except the intermittent wiper speed control.

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yep vagcom or vcds is a program that replicates vws own computer 5051 and allows you to log live data and adjust settlings and read fault codes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers steve, so how do i get access to it? take it you just need software and a cable that connects to OBD2 or something similar? what kinda price you looking at for it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ah just seen it on vagcom website....220+VAT for basic one. hmmm will have to see about that, lot of money if im only going to use it to retro fit DIS (and may as well cruise control while im at it) is it possible to just pay a VAG garage to code it for me?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I know it's abit pricy, but you will always have it. It means you will be able to do diagnostics yourself, diagnostics is expensive enough these days.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
very true, may have to check that out! is it easy to use? never done any kind of programming electrics, most ive ever done is soldering and making PCB's with etch acid at school when i was 15 lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
if i were you mate id buy the wiper stalk and fit it, as if you got the screen it might already be coded in, just someone changed a broken stalk and replaced it with the wrong one? if not just buy or get someone with vagcom to code it for you.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It's easy enough to use, if your ok with computers. Ps need a laptop to reach the port

1 - 20 of 38 Posts