UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just curious really, want to know a bit more about VAG-COM! Does anyone know what cable my A4 will need? 03 plate (2.0 FSI)?

And also I've read mention of the shareware version of VAG-COM, presume this is a limited try before you buy of the software? What can you actually do with it?

And to get a cable, I've seen loads on ebay are these legit cables likely? Or do you buy the cable from say ebay and then have to register it with ross-tech?

Probably some really simple questions there, anyone shed any light for me?!

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Hi Tom, the eBay cables are knock offs. It's free to download the program from the rosstech website, but the genuine lead and registration is $350 or ?215. it can be well worth it. I've got an old lead and I'm registered but I'm going to have to buy a newer lead. They do a upgrade package for registered users for around $250.

I've had no use with eBay cables so can comment on what they can or can't do. If you can afford it I'd get the genuine as it's legal for a start, and if you are mechanically minded and want to do jobs yourself, then it will save you hefty garage diagnostics

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I think VAG-COM is probably one of those things that sound confusing until you've got one. There's a list of things you can do in the link below.

The ebay ones are copies. I think I'm right in saying that they don't work with the updated versions of VAG-COM. Personally, I'd go for the genuine kit.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

Aside from the diagnostics and fault clearing, you can do all sorts of changes with it (some of these may be specific to A3) - auto locking, teardrop wipe, use fogs as DRLs, setup flashing hazards when emergency braking, enable CH / LH lights, s elective unlocking, locking bleep..........endless fun I'd imagine! [:D]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote user="Stevee"]Hi Tom, the eBay cables are knock offs. It's free to download the program from the rosstech website, but the genuine lead and registration is $350 or £215. it can be well worth it. I've got an old lead and I'm registered but I'm going to have to buy a newer lead. They do a upgrade package for registered users for around $250.
I've had no use with eBay cables so can comment on what they can or can't do. If you can afford it I'd get the genuine as it's legal for a start, and if you are mechanically minded and want to do jobs yourself, then it will save you hefty garage diagnostics

[/quote]

Hi Steve, I see, a mate put the shareware version on my laptop I wondered what I would need to use it if at all! Can you use the shareware with an unregistered lead or would this void their copyright etc.?? (Have no idea how their set-up works!) I've done a few mechanical fixes before, and I'm pretty competent with computers and such, just fancy giving it a try if theres a cheap way of doing it on a trial version or something?!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote user="davemk"]

I think VAG-COM is probably one of those things that sound confusing until you've got one. There's a list of things you can do in the link below.

The ebay ones are copies. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. You'll get no support from Ross Tech if you buy an immitation lead. "You pay your money........"

I think I'm right in saying that they don't work with the updated versions of VAG-COM.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

Personally, I'd go for the genuine kit.

Aside from the diagnostics and fault clearing, you can do all sorts of changes with it (some of these may be specific to A3) - auto locking, teardrop wipe, use fogs as DRLs, setup flashing hazards when emergency braking, enable CH / LH lights, s elective unlocking, locking bleep..........endless fun I'd imagine!

[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Yeah I know what you mean, It's like that with a lot of software though, the stuff I use at work is truly shocking in terms of user-friendliness VAG-COM cant be much more difficult lol!

Have had a look at the link, obviously the full does a lot more, but the stuff you mentioned I presume comes under adaptation which it said was limited on the link. Do you know how limited?

By the way, what's teardrop wipe and CH/LH lights?!

Cheers for replies guys

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
[quote user="Dreadheadtom"]

Hi Dave,

Yeah I know what you mean, It's like that with a lot of software though, the stuff I use at work is truly shocking in terms of user-friendliness VAG-COM cant be much more difficult lol!

Have had a look at the link, obviously the full does a lot more, but the stuff you mentioned I presume comes under adaptation which it said was limited on the link. Do you know how limited?

By the way, what's teardrop wipe and CH/LH lights?!

Cheers for replies guys

[/quote]

No, I don't know how limited the limited product is I'm afraid.

Teardrop wipe is when you've used the washers, the wipers give a few passes, stop for a few seconds and then give a final pass to catch the running drips (if that makes sense?!).

CH / LH lights are coming home / leaving home lights - illuminates the external lights upon locking or unlocking.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I already have teardrop then. CHLH sound good though.

Anyone know what cable I'd need to give it a try with shareware version? USB to OBD-II??

Cheers

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
If you go onto the Ross Tech site linked above, there's a page on there that will tell you which cable you need. [Y]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts

Hi Steve, I see, a mate put the shareware version on my laptop I wondered what I would need to use it if at all! Can you use the shareware with an unregistered lead or would this void their copyright etc.?? (Have no idea how their set-up works!) I've done a few mechanical fixes before, and I'm pretty competent with computers and such, just fancy giving it a try if theres a cheap way of doing it on a trial version or something?!

[/quote]

The shareware will only work with older leads AFAIK. The new leads from RT all have built in activation and will work with the latest versions of vag-com.

It might be an idea to get in touch with RossTech and see what they can offer you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote user="davemk"]

[/quote]

The shareware will only work with older leads AFAIK. The new leads from RT all have built in activation and will work with the latest versions of vag-com.

It might be an idea to get in touch with RossTech and see what they can offer you.

[/quote]

Will have to yeah, sounds like a nice bit of kit to have will have to check it out with them!

How easy is it to make adaptations to the different modules? Or is it just really spelt out, then you just have to change one of the numbers in the code etc?

Wouldn't want to spend the money until I think its something I can figure out for myself as I use it if you get me!

·
Registered
116 Posts
im also novice at this, iv got ross-tech softwear but i dont have a cable and realy dont want to spend £250 either is there a way to but the shit ebay cable and use it with the ross tech softwear would that work?

thanks

mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts