UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then freaks.

Got the car last week, it is a Final Edition C5 Avant with the 130hp 1.9 pd TDI engine. Not the fastest car in the world especially considering its size but s perfect for my needs, i.e Family. Got it for a song as well !!!

What I intend to do is post up whenever I feel like it anything that is significant in my ownership of it.

Having spent last Sunday cleaning the interior including feeding the leather my attention this weekend to switched the exterior and getting it sorted mechanically. I did do a basic service on Monday night, that being Oil & Filter, Air, Fuel and Pollen filters.

Anyway, some exterior shots;

Nice bit of bead-age on the roof and rails !

From 2001 onwards I think, they all came with Sports suspension as standard. To me the ride height is perfect, it could however do with some 18's on it .....

Moving on, yesterday got the Cambelt, Cambelt tensioner, Cambelt idler pulley, Waterpump, Aux belt tensioner, Aux belt and the aircon belts changed !

Interestingly, although the car had a full Audi service history with the belt being done at 80k, now at 111k the waterpump was shot, was leaking, the cambelt idler pulley had quite a lot of end float on it as did the auxbelt tensioner. My advice is to insist these are changed when you have your belts done. The other thing is the cambelt interval, on this car it is 80k, on the PD engined VW's it has always been 60k.

A few piccies below of the engine and new belts as fitted...

I also had each wheel off and gave it a proper clean, waxed them. Also cleaned off the calipers and painted them to tidy them up as they are highly visible through these wheels.

Could have for boy racer red but thought the calipers in Satin Black are more in keeping with the car.

A few piccies below of the interior (not cleaned since last week, so a bit dusty !

Over all I'm well chuffed with it. A luxo wafting barge for very little money. Why have a company car when I can have the cash and drive something like this.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Its really nice mate. Was the Tbelt an easy job on the Tdi? I have to do mine in 10k. Did u need any special vw tools?

Like the satnav, and chrome...

I have the Dunlop sports aswell, u like?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote user="stevee"]

Its really nice mate. Was the Tbelt an easy job on the Tdi? I have to do mine in 10k. Did u need any special vw tools?

Like the satnav, and chrome...

I have the Dunlop sports aswell, u like?

[/quote]

I didn't do it as I'm getting to old and lazy. But did occasionally assist and made tea whilst I was sorting the wheels.

Quite straight forward, the hardest parts are pulling the lock carrier into the service position and correctly setting up the cambelt tensioner.

You do need a cam sprocket locking pin and a crank sprocket locking tool to do this job.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote user="stevee"]

sounds like an excuse for some ebay tool spends

[/quote]

I've done loads of belts on loads of my cars over the years. The tensioner on the PD is quite tricky hence swinging it away from me doing it DIY.

If you have never done one, carefully consider the consequnces of if things go wrong. i.e. you will wreck your engine.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Ive done a few aswell but never on the pd. how is the tensioner hard?

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Looks good. I reckon you can't beat a slammed estate ( like the a4 and Passat in this months golf+). Not sure if the wife would approve of it on her a4 though !

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a very in depth polishing and waxing session today.

Black cars look stunning when clean, but bloody hell it is a lot of effort to get them and keep them there !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Colin I too have the A6 Final Edition 1.9tdi

Mines an automatic with 80k on the clock which for a 05 car is nothing.

Looks really good in dark blue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts