UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all started when my lovely (and rather missed) Mk5 GTI developed a manic rumbling noise (just like a wheel bearing going) and two different VWs couldn't diagnose the fault under warranty. So, that was it, it had to go before it cost me a fortune [:(] This was June 2008.

So, having looked around for several weeks at a replacement, I was a bit screwed. No sign of the MK6 Golf, let alone the GTI. The Scirrocco also wasn't available and I wasn't going to order having not even had a go in one first.

As a result, went BACK a step (bit of a mistkae but never mind) and went to the the GTI's original competitor, the Mk1 TT Quattro Sport.

After 3 weeks of digging, the perfect one appeared (probably could've gone private, but I always give dealer's back a second hand car at least twice to fix niggles, and you can't do that going privately) at Camberley Audi in Surrey.

Here's the little Audi User Car teaser pic:

Perfect. Mauritius Blue, and unusually, no bucket seats (comfort of racing practicality... at the time!)

A trip down and look around, a good run and test drive, and yes it was a done deal. Then there was the 2 hour "debate" about the GTI value, an almost full on "row" in the dealer about finance (as usual) when I practically the finance dude to go **** himself, and we were done.

Picked it up later that week, even took a day off work, and went driving and took some first shots:

Shed loads of pics btw at my gallery here.

Couple of weeks later, the brakes start squeaking like mad. I wouldn't mind, but they're standard, and it's not just sometimes, it's always. That took 3 months to get sorted - Herculanian fail by Audi Camberley (never go near them they are shocking beyond belief), and an Epic Fail by Bexley Audi for their useless dickhead by the name of Clayton. Which is a shame, cos Tara's the complete opposite and had the whole thing sorted, wrapped up, and Camberley beaten senseless to pay in 3 days (instead of 3 months, WTF?!) - new pads, no squeaks at all, perfect.

Then we took it in July to Castle Combe for a trackday, and it performed pretty well in the 3 x 20min sessions that morning, although we did screw up the final corner and (much to the delight of the crowd) go sliding sideways down the home straight in a thick smoke fog. Ace pic by Mr Jaymo of uk-mkivs though of the fun had:

Skip along to the Mega Meet 2008, and I win first prize in the raffle of £100 off at VW Speed. Bingo, Haldex Controller for the win. Got that sorted, fitted by BBT (sorry, AMD!) in Essex, and went to the ring!

And then, we took it to the Nurburgring...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
... And it was mainly wet. Which was great. I had Quattro + I had uprated Haldex ECU. The dry spell though it wasn't right, but couldn't put my finger on it.

So, May Ring trip next, and it was mainly dry. And I got left for dead by all the NW lot that came with us. Mk4, Mk5, whatever. The grip was dire, there was horrendous roll, and it was also insanely busy (which always unsettles me, I'm not the most trusting of other drivers!). It's impossible to work out all the issues in details at the Ring though, it's too long, very complex and so forth. The brakes though, were shit beyond belief.

Photos courtesy of Tabs, our friendly administrator.

However, as we left the ring to head off to Porsche down in Stuttgart, disaster. ESP light on the dash, and a not-so-balanced TT. Vagcom in full swing (thanks vwspeed + harveysduvet!), and the Haldex ECU is goosed. Much dicking around changing fuses, nothing. I've killed it.

So back to BBT, took it off, corrosion in the pins, should be fine. Lasted 3 days. So back to BBT it went who took it off (gratis) for to send back to the TT Shop. Screwed that royally as by the time I'd doen all that, it was summer holidays and Haldex bugger off for 2 weeks. So that finally came back last week - after investigations it was a dead unit and replaced under warranty. No reasons given as to the fault.

Back to basics with my issues though. And something UK based, over to Oulton Park. Where I learnt a hell of a lot (and not just down to the tuition). Tyres, crap, pressures, violently different on Sport Conti 3s on the TT, and brakes, well, I killed them (100m stopping for corners? Try 350m).

Image courtesy harveysduvet / austin21.

Shopping list. Motorsport, sponsored by Visa. I've never been much of a modder (the GTI5 got a remap and that was it). How I'm going to fail now with this!

- DS2500 front pads (spot the fuck up by the bloody importer)

- Uprate fluid to dot5.1

- 4 new tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics

- Full service (including switch to 10k servicing)

- Refit Haldex Sports controller

Imagine my "annoyance" when the brakes arrive, I take them out the box and have a good look at them to find they're actually DS Performance, and not DS2500s. Much debate between supplier + import, saw the correct pads delivered to BBT for 9am Friday morning just gone - service day! This was I should've got:

Tyres were sorted by my local guys, Falkham Tyres. The rest, BBT did over in Essex. It did however get worse though. On getting into the front brakes, there was a severe lip on my discs (that explains the violent judder if the brakes got REALLY warm), and they were rusty/corroded.

- Zimmer 312mm drilled discs

They went onto the list as well. With some advice + tips from Tabs and harveysduvet, they were all progressively bedded in, and they are working like a treat.

I've also REALLY missed my Haldex Sports as well, it's a mega transformation.

What next? Mods wise, remap's the main outstanding, but we'll have to leave that until I've done a lot more overtime. Track wise, well, it's the Nurburgring next Friday!

C

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the ring was epic, no two ways about it. The new brake setup on the front is absolutely awesome compared to the OEM setup on the track. Even when the temperatures were hitting mid through to late 20s, and the wheels, tyres and brakes were getting really hot, it jsut carried on stopping every time. Awesome.

Also hadn't realised how much I'd missed the Sports Haldex - that little extra grnt at the back is life saving in the wet. Also, with some better tyres now, and correctly adjusted pressures, I can do several laps in the dry/warm quite easily, without feeling like the whole thing is going to flip over.

Next stop, definitely the remap, maybe for Christmas if we can afford it, but certainly before the next ring trip (which will be in May)

C

PS - there will be pics soon...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts