UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Time to trade in the Golf for an Audi..

Im ideally looking for an 02 or newer A4 B6. It has to be diesel and it has to be Quattro. Id like leathers too, but if it didnt it wouldnt stop me buying it. Avant or saloon is cool.

Is there anything you guys could advise me to look out for? Common faults, expensive repairs etc. Any perticular engine better then another?

Thanks guys,

Luke

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I'm not very knowledgable on the A4 Luke so can't be of much help but bump the thread.

I'd take a guess that you're looking at similar problems to the Golf engines (not that there's many). Check for a white mayo-like substance under the oil filler cap. I know the A3 had problems with porous heads, not sure if that affected the A4.

Presumably, check the cambelt has been done, FSH and all the usual checks for a used car.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There's a sport one that comes with a nice votex kit and it look the business - try for that one.

I think the A4s are fairly well built - just make sure the turbo isnt too noisey (loud hgh pitched whine could mean its on its way out) and bearings could be common.

Along the diesel vag range, the intake manifold flap (throttle body) is a a fairly commond prob as it sometimes jams.

Just make sure its been well serviced, hpi clear, all the panels are one colour and everything lines up an you should be ok :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent Kaz, they do look the nuts! With only 100bhp it'll need a Remap PDQ!

Thank Dave and Damian. Wouldnt say i was getting sensible. But a new job and a change in my sitiation means a more practicle and economical car is needed. Having said that I've always liked B6's since my pops had one, and i wont be leaving it completely alone, some minor tweeks here and there [whistle]

Plus I have this desire the strap my snowboard to the roof and Quattro it through the Swis Alps at some point [au]

Thanks guys, any more opinions from owner?

Luke

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Hello luke nice to see you across here mate,awsome signature by the way

·
Registered
496 Posts
Stevee is up to something with his A4 and after a pretty good power gain! (cant remember what he ws doing but its in a thead soemwhere). Im sure you could get 150bhp and at that, it will be pretty qick and economical! They are realy tourqey engines as my A3 before the map was 140bhp-ish and it was pretty quick.

Just had a look at your Golf and it looks awesome with the Red BBS wheels and other mods. Bet your gutted you have to sell..

·
Registered
175 Posts
[quote user="kaz219"]

Stevee is up to something with his A4 and after a pretty good power gain! (cant remember what he ws doing but its in a thead soemwhere). Im sure you could get 150bhp and at that, it will be pretty qick and economical! They are realy tourqey engines as my A3 before the map was 140bhp-ish and it was pretty quick.

Just had a look at your Golf and it looks awesome with the Red BBS wheels and other mods. Bet your gutted you have to sell..

[/quote]

I do believe Stevee posted something in 'A4 2007 reg breaking' about what upgrades he's planning on doing....follow link below....

http://uk-audis.net/forums/t/1071.aspx

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I am gutted in a way.. but even before knowing I 'had' to sell my car, I was already thining of moving on. So it's not to much of a blow. But I have trown alot of money into the Golf, and knowing I wont be able to get much of that back is a bit hard to swallow.

Ive been looking into the Votex kitted A4's. They look awesome, but none of the people selling them seem to know what they are selling lol. It's either advertised as a RS kit, S-line kit, Sport kit or just a body kit. Not making it easy for me to find them :(

These things are sent to test us...

Luke

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Can't you take any mods off the Golf and sell them seperately, Luke? Might make a few more £££'s that way.

Is yours up for sale now?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought about doing that Dave, but where i live ATM it's going to be really hard to store anything whilst its waiting to be sold :(

Id like to revert it back to standard but would it really be worth it? Think ill be selling the Anni lights as i still have my old units under the bed lol

Not up for sale yet.. Im a bit nervous about it [sos]

Another ploblem is what am I gunna roll in between selling the Golf and finding the new motor? [surrender] Might have to buy a £200 bucket for the inbetween time..

·
Registered
902 Posts
Lots and lots of people are heading over here from MkIV's... including me about a year ago. I have a chipped 130 TDI Quattro Sport Saloon - my god it's good. Excellent car.

It goes really well, better than you'd expect considering it has 200ish kg more than the Golf.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TBH it does feel like a natural progression. Dont see myself buying anything other then VAG in the future, appart from maybe a Porsche once im really rich lol

Luke

1 - 15 of 15 Posts