UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Love to get some feedback on Chipped boxes you can buy on ebay and such sites. These chip boxes are selling for less than £100 and claim they can increase BHP and torque by upto 60% in some cases and reduce fuel consumption.

I have a Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE (130) and would love to hear from people who may have already chipped their cars using a chip box or who have chosen to have their ECU re-mapped instead. Whats the disadvantages or advantages to either way or doesn't it really matter.

Please join in and give me some feedback on what your opinion is.

Cheers

MC

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
My honest opinion is remap because I've heard bad things re. tuning boxes. HOWEVER, I don't know enough about tuning boxes to give an informed opinion. I seem to recall that Garfie is clued up on tuning boxes. Might be worth dropping him a PM.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
All the cheap ones are is a resistor that deminishes the signal from the fuel temp sensor, and thus it over fuels the engine causing more power. The turbo boost isnt upt nor is injector timing. It can result in a blocking of the variable vanes as there will be increased soot, intake mani soot build up, and damage to the engine long term.

Any more fuel added to the combustion cycle needs added air, thus with a remap the turbo boost is increased to burn off the added diesel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if your looking long term then possibly a re-map is better......but.....the price of the chip boxes are so much cheaper. Are there cleaning additives you could add to the diesel to offset the soot build up?

I live in Nottingham and around here most people charge about £300 for a re-map. The there's the question of who provides the best re-maps.....which vendor is the most recommended......Revo seems to be the most talked about where i live.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that i will give them a ring.

Some models of the A4 listed have a PD in the name such as Audi A4 1.9TDI PD 130.

Whats does the "PD" mean. I always thought mine was 1.9 TDI 130 SE.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
PD is Pumpe Duse - the injection technology. As a 130, yours will be a PD engine.

Worth noting that if you plan to service the car yourself (or even getting a garage to do it) make sure that they use the correct oil.

·
Registered
607 Posts
must admit mate i kooked into the tuning boxes but like already said it trick

s the engine into running as if its cold all the time! not good and will use more fuel normally!! some remap companys do boxes that upload the map for you if you wanted to remove and add new maps regularly. i used rapidremaps in cannock and they were spot on. hardly any smoke when warm with only small ammount when cold! and by god the difference they make is incredible!! with the 130 you could see 180-190 just from a good remap!! jabba did my mates 130 golf and got think it was 192bhp iirc!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for all you input on this topic....its been a great help.

I think for me i should go for a remap. I see R-tech as already been recommended but if anybody know of any other quality tuners in the nottingham area then please post them.

Again thanks for all the info. [clap]

·
Registered
17 Posts
pends on how far you wanna travel several big tuning companys use dealers dotted around the uk best bet is check the net to find locations a few of the big ones i know are Revo, Jabbasport, Apr, superchips(bluefin) are all renownd and reputable tuning companys. i would check out mkivs as the 130 engine is common with the golf gttdi's and see who they recomend

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Just have a few pound put by for a clutch mate, but definatley get the remap

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well its going in for a new clutch and flywheel next friday. I asked the guy at the garage to make sure its going to take the power after a re-map and he sez it will be fine.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
The Flywheel will be fine with the extra bhp, the clutch will be fine if you drive easy. Id price up a normal Flywheel (dual mass) and a Sachs clutch. They can stand alot more abuse and last alot longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The standard clutch and flywheel is costing £550 + fitting. The Sachs uprated clutch + Flywheel is £750.....quite a lot more. I think the standard one should be fine as im not one for abusing my car. If i have any problems i'll be sure to post it in the forum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts