UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've got a wheel bearing that's starting to drone, it's getting quite loud. It seemed to appear quite quickly.
I plan on doing the job myself, anyone got any tips? I've heard the one about putting new bearings in the freezer for a couple of days!
Is it worth changing the control arms with new balljoints and bushings?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Why whats putting them in the freezer supposed to do stevee? i dont think there is any point changing ball joints though steve,as they say if it aint broke.It might be bad enough getting bearing out and in without extra stress if bushes are a pain to get in and out the same or just check the state of play before you start doing the bearing then you know if you need to do it all in one job,or do you mean the track rods? because we had a mare with one same as yours at work the other day so NO!!! leave it be[sos]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard it over on ukmkivs. Hot metal expands- so if cold it shold shrink! I suppose it depends on the condition of them and the price I get from the dealer, just it's done 165k, and everyhing is original. I will check the condition of the ball joints first. Only I seem to be hitting bumps harder these days.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Never heard of that freezer trick mate you will have to let us know if it works,i know we have had right ball acher sometimes on mk4 golfs getting the bearings out because of the ABS ring there was no way of putting them on the press.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts