UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you are probably aware i have been using dodo born to be mild to wash my car, i always used to use megs gold class before changing over,i was just wondering what shampoo other members use ,and why they use it

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Turtle wax car shampoo- It was free with stuff in halfords....

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Shampoo ? Turtle wax I think then liquid claybar stuff them rinse, microfibre dry and shine with a sry microfibre. Probably all wrong but it's not my car and it's generally lucky if it gets a bucket of warm water and a cloth one a week

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Megs NXT shampoo because it seems to leave a nice shine after you have washed,also seems to bead a bit when it rains even if not been polished and the most important thing its smells like bubble gum

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
I'm a Gold Class user, mainly because other people had recommended it.

Before that, I'd use any old car shampoo TBH. I wanted to treat the A3 right from the start though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
at them mo im on ag bodywork shampoo

as soon as it runs out im going to try the megs gold class, as the ag doesnt seem to lather well

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
If I've any snow foam left in the lance, I sometimes add that to the wash bucket and it's super-foamy!!! [H]

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote user="davemk"]

If I've any snow foam left in the lance, I sometimes add that to the wash bucket and it's super-foamy!!!

[/quote]

i have never tried that dave, i sometimes put some shampoo in with snow foam,and use it as a pre wash

·
Registered
607 Posts
i use ag shampoo but agree it doesnt lather well but then who wants bubbles everywhere!! it does a good job and seems to help the water beed off? might try megs next time as i like most of there products ive used

·
Registered
153 Posts
[quote user="GavNayshGTTDI115"]

i use ag shampoo but agree it doesnt lather well but then who wants bubbles everywhere!! it does a good job and seems to help the water beed off? might try megs next time as i like most of there products ive used

[/quote]

To be honest mate i wouldnt care if it had bits of broken glass,scrap iron & grit in it as long as it still smells nice

·
Registered
38 Posts
Used to use megs NXT and found it was great when compared to other cheaper stuff at Halfords, then gave Megs gold class a go and haven't looked back...great stuff!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Meguiars stuff, dunno which offhand, purple bottle green lid. Get's a rinse in Autoshine afterwards too.

That's assuming I do it, which doesn't happen often, I get my local EEs to do mine generally down at Shine Time by Bluewater, they do a good enough job (and I'm not anal on this one like I was with the GTI)

C

·
Registered
175 Posts
Shampoo with Trutle Wax Zip cause its does the job & cheap!

Then I use Meguiars 3 step deep crystal system.......1st Paint Cleaner 2nd Deep Polish and 3rd Carnauba Wax.Brings out a nice shine to paint work, awesome results with minimal effort.I would say I use the 3 steps once every 5/6 washes otherwise I just shampoo & polish....if that makes sense!

For removal of tree sap I use Meg Qiuck Clay...just cause I do [:)]

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Nattys Blue carnuba wax arrived today, unfortunately I was out doing the shopping and it's now sitting in the post office waiting on me....[:(]

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
[quote user="philb13"]

5/6 washes otherwise I just shampoo & polish....if that makes sense!

[/quote]

Polish or wax?

You don't really want to be polishing every wash. You'll be removing any wax protection with the polish. Plus, don't forget that polish tends to be mildly abrasive so you'll be taking off lacquer / paint (albeit only a very very miniscule amount).

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote user="davemk"]

[quote user="philb13"]

[/quote]

Polish or wax?

You don't really want to be polishing every wash. You'll be removing any wax protection with the polish. Plus, don't forget that polish tends to be mildly abrasive so you'll be taking off lacquer / paint (albeit only a very very miniscule amount).

[/quote]

i agree with you there dave, dont polish her every wash, if you do you will need to seal then wax the car, best just waxing the car 3 /4 times a year, and polish when required,all polish does is remove the exsisting wax

·
Registered
175 Posts
[quote user="davelincs"]

[quote user="davemk"]

[quote user="philb13"]

[/quote]

Polish or wax?

[/quote]

i agree with you there dave, dont polish her every wash, if you do you will need to seal then wax the car, best just waxing the car 3 /4 times a year, and polish when required,all polish does is remove the exsisting wax

[/quote]

Well, there's an eye-opener Dave & Dave [:O] I was talking with a friend earlier today,after reading your two's post, and he too said to me "Yes this is because polishing typically removes a small amount of the uppermost protective layer of paint." The same as you two guys are saying. He then followed on by saying "I've told you this before....you shouldn't polish you car so often." Guest I should listen more!

So I can wash as often as I want.....say once a week but no need to polish after? and no need to use the 3 steps once every 5/6 washes?

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi phil

wash it as often as you like, but do not polish it, i wax mine 3,4 times a year, this depends on the beading of either rain water or the wash rinse, but inbetween the waxes, every other wash i apply a quick detailer this tops up the wax on the car, but does not last as long as the wax

a good quality wax should last 3 months depending on the weather,and if the car is washed on a regular basis

quick detailer will just top up the wax,and bring extra shine after washing, but will only last a couple of weeks , so you can use quick detailer every 2/3 weeks

hope you understand the above

1 - 20 of 38 Posts