UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

posted earlyer today reguarding a 04 plate 2.0 TDI but after reading up on the engine problems they have i've been put off a bit!

now looking into the 02 plate 1.9 130 diesels and just wanted to know peoples thoughts about the cars and any buying advice.

thanks

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Good cars and good engines. Like all cars though check out the clutch, turbo on full belt to see if it boosts right and doesnt overboost- 3rd gear to the red line- 4th gear to 4,000 revs at full throttle. Itll test the clutch and turbo. Also check that all electronics work in the car- every gadget and also that the aircon works- alot dont.

But they are a good engine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good cars and good engines. Like all cars though check out the clutch, turbo on full belt to see if it boosts right and doesnt overboost- 3rd gear to the red line- 4th gear to 4,000 revs at full throttle. Itll test the clutch and turbo. Also check that all electronics work in the car- every gadget and also that the aircon works- alot dont.

But they are a good engine
thanks
how will i know if its overboosting and if it has any faults? i've never driven one before so wont know what to look out for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you know its been a while since ive had my tt & starlet.. but if i rember right its you waste gate either stuck open or shut.
you try to give it the beans itll go then jump to fuel cut/limp mode so your turbo doesnt kill its self youd know if it over boosted as the car would practicaly die on you and only do like 12mph lol

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yes if it overboosts the power will be really reduced. Whatever car you chose dont be afraid to take it for a good test drive and really check it out including going over some bumpy roads to check the suspension for rattles and clatters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coilies would be a tempting upgrade whats the going rate for a half decent set up on Audi's? i'm a ford lad really so this is all new scene for me

i'll give it a good test drive to check for the turbo and clutch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jom coilovers are popular amongst Golf/Bora lovers, similar with the A3. Pick 'em up for around £160-180.

Check the central locking works, locking/unlocking all doors and boot as expected - also check the map lights go on when a door is opened. Door module switch failure is very common in these and when pointed out, can gain you a bit more off the asking price. £10 fix from a scrapyard though.

Also check the wishbone bushes, they seem to eat them more than anything else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick question.

I've been looking into remapping but i cant seem to find many 130's in my area only 100's.
if i remapped a 100 what figures would i see and would they be lower than what a 130 mapped would be? or is the 130 the same but with a less agressive remap?

thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts