UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some folks may know me from uk-mkivs.net, I used to roll round in a mk4 golf estate that was lowered 30mm, on TT rims and had ABM headlights which were the only set in the country I belive.

I sold that bad boy last september with 197k on the clock and still going like a trooper! I was rather sad to see it go as it was a brill car and pulled the trailer really well (It was used to collect my old girlfriend mk2, my brothers mk2 and take the mk1 to trackdays....and never missed a beat! the only issue was a weaping head gasket which I changed at 180k along with the cam belt etc on my drive and then did another 20k miles and chipped it too [:D] before I sold it. - I belive its till going stong now as I hear from the lad that brought it every so often...

The mk4 was replaced by a A4 Avant 2.0TDi S line, as I needed something a bit posher for my new job...

The main reason I fell in love was the interior! 1/2 leather [H]

The car had done 92k when I got it and I paid £11k for it with full dealer history etc, this was back in september 08 before the market completely crashed..

The car hasn't stayed stock for long... im now running FK headlights I improted from germany, and it has RS4 battery cover tray to hinde the battery and pollen filter etc as I hated the open scuttle box, it also runs fan washer jets from a passat as I dont like the OE 2 water jet ones, and its now running a modded B8 A4 aero rear wiper and will be on pressed plates in the next week or so..

Ill get some pics when the new plates are on etc, and show off the new rear wiper...

My dad loved the Audi so much that in March he went and got one too!!

1 owner from new, 47k miles, S line with the interior vanity light pack (which I havent got [:'(]) and the door puddle lights too (again I dont have), alu dash pack like mine, single CD (will be a 6 CD when I find one), gen 18" wheels and full service history!

(Hes had the car a couple of months now, and loves it, but im yet to take any new and better pics of it...some will be done soon)

Then theres my play thing... a MK1 golf GTi, it started off pretty much stock, when I got it in Sept 07 bar some FK coil overs and ronal turbo wheels.. its now evolved into this...

and its been changing again the last few nights...due to new wings to save more wieght,

If anyone wants to know the full history of the mk1 from start to now take a look at - http://www.dubclique.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2650

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Those Avants are impressive! Love the half leather. Looks a well looked after example, those must of been motorway miles. Are you going to remap it?

I always love black cars but i think your A4 is even better looking........what colour did they call that?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep my car was a managers I belive as its all speced up but did 30k a year... motorway miles I dont mind so long as it has the oil changed as soon as its needed and uses VAG oil.

Mine is now pushing 175bhp thanks to Mike at Motech peformance, top bloke and the only one I trust for a remap.

I have no idea what colur my dads is, as im not sure if its Phantom black or not... we sold his car in the morning and then I found that A4 at available car for £11k!!! so we shot there to make sure it didnt go, went for a test drive and it was mint so we stuck a deposit down and had it! the odd thing is im sure the reg is the same as black one we looked at 6 weeks earlier up at Wakefield Audi! thats the one he had his heart set on and im 99.9% sure this is the same one!!!

Dads isn't remapped yet... but will be in a year or so.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Ye id say a managers car too mate. Either that or a Entrepreneurs! Motorway miles are the easiest on the car mate. Id say its a quick machine now with the 175bhp. What bhp is your mk1?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its nippy... but not lightning fast as its still a big old heavy car to lug around! but its defo punchier than my dads.

The mk1 is pushing around 125bhp, thats all, as the head needs to be big valve and ported to get the most from the cam etc, but thats another £500+ for the spec I want. the mk1 is nippy though and only really starts to slow down above 80mph where the aero takes over as its basically a brick on wheels.

This weekend I have retro fitted the DIS system to my A4, so I now have the full onboard computer! there was small panic when then immobiliser kicked in and wouldnt let the car start, but this was my cock up due to a plug not being properly in on the back of the dash [:$] had another good look this morn, spotted my prob and all was well. Im still playing with the coding as I can set the computer to work a few different ways with vag-com, and I am still to retro fit the low washer fluid sensor so for now that wire is just linked to earth to stop the warning on the dash, but that will be retro fitted soon as its not too hard.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wow mate - that looks really nice :D

Mk1 must be fun to drive - one of those "you, steering wheel, road" cars with no computers :D

Are the angel eyes in your dp yours? Any close ups ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep I know of only 1 other guy on Audi-sport.net with my headlights [:mad:] for a while i was the only ones in the country I belive! FK halos from Germany, I got them so I could run a projector lens with a Z beam pattern.

The same headlights are fitted on the pics on the carpark roof above, in the daylight they look very close to OEM, and next summer I will prob pull them apart and add a DLR strip to them along the bottom ala the B8 S lines.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wow mate - i couldnt even notice they had angel eye until i properly looked in the daylight pics - its different from the usual audi LEDS (even though they looks nice aswell)

Z beam - are you going to use normal bulbs or fit HIDs or does the A4 have th same prob as the A3 of the wiper motor blowing...

I had a set on the mk4 but trying not to mod the A3 (even though I've fitted S3 345mm brakes, ST3 Remap, S3 Mirrors, 18" Rs4s, Conti sport 3 Tyres, Votex bodykit and a few other tweeks :S lol) - i did say i was trying not to mod :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im running a set of 6000k HIds in them, hence the need for the projector and Z beam as it stops be blinding on coming drivers and people im over taking, (I work as a type approval engineer so I know the ins and outs of the law and I know that HIDs are illegal and why, but by fitting projector lenses the dazzle is removed as the beam pattern is controlled (normal reflectors with HIDs are very dangerous as there is sooo much light above the cut off, plus the beam pattern gets messed up as the burner is never in the correct place comapared to the H7 filament)

I dont belive that it effects anything else by running them, had them in now for about 4 months and its been fine, but I am running a older set-up with no relay so this stops the bulb faiure warning but does mean that for the first min when the burner are warming up they pull more than the normal 3 or so amps...but it settles down to 1 and a bit amps in approx 60 seconds and so far has not caused any issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its been a weekend of fun!!!! I picked up another set of 9 spoke 18s for the audi, gen wheels from a A4 for the bargin price of £225!! the plan is run those in winter as they arent 100% perfect but they are near enough that they look it from a couple of foot! then Ill get my non curbed wheels refurbed again (they have been done once but werent preped right so the new paints just peeling off [:|] sadly ther were done before i got the car so I cant shout at anyone about it.

I also have plans for a couple more mods on the A4 in the next week, so keep your eyes peeled

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had a busy busy day!!!

I was up at 6 and on the road by 6:15, whipping down the motorways to Bristol....I managed to make it all the way to 1.5 miles from my turning off the M5 before the caravans and other holiday makers caused grid lock! but I made it to bristol by 9, and was on my way back home by 9:30...by 12 I was home, 260 miles in a morning...and this was why.

A full cat back Miltek system with twin exits, and the extra hanger, heat sheild and new rear valance needed to fit it [:D]

First job was to get the back end up in the air,

(Deano was round as well to lend a hand, and he kindly did the pait work for me as I can't do it with out getting very hacked off and throwing my toys out of the pram! so a massive thanks to him!! [H] )

next up was the removal of the right hand blanking trays and the rear valance,

10 mins later, 2 bolts and 4 hangers later the OE system was off....

as can be seen this isnt the worlds best for flow with 2 sharp corners....but its not too bad in the big scheme of things.

30 mins later the new system was on and built awaiting the tips and the rear valance....

trial fit of the rear tips...

now it was time to fit the new rear valance.....I went a bit left field here, as its not a S line ones, its a normal version as the S line one has the extra jutty out chin bit, but im not 100% conviced it looks ok with the twin pipe set up....and then I went even more left of the norm by paining the insert gloss black 8) now I wasnt sure if this would work or not....but as halfords said my paint code didnt exist it kind of settled it [:p]

so heres the valance fitted with out the tips...

and the finished article!!! (bar a minor tweak which I will do next week on the ramps at work, juts to get the right hand box sat 100% in the middle as im a picky bugger...)

so in only an afternoon its gone from...

to

What you all recon? [H] (you may also notice another little mod too....)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went for a burn this afernoon/eve in the mk1 as I finshed work early and due to the goodn weather it was an ideal time to try the new green stuff low mu rear brake pads, so they were dumped in and then I went for a burn up to the A6, out to Cromford then up across the moors to Buxton and then out to the Cat and Fiddle pass.

The initial signs were not good, with the brake bed in coating being too grippy and the rears locking up still too easily...at first with the cold fronts the rears were very very happy! but after some serious abuse and a number of stops on just the hand brake they are getting a little better, but I still think im going to have to use a mk2 brake bias valve :( so thats more fun building a bracket for that....

on the plus side I took some more pics while I was out and about (the old factory has been barrierd off now so I couldn't get in there :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Mate,

Nice Pics .. (y) ... if u dont mind me asking from did ya get ya reg plates for ur A4 Avant 2.0TDi S line.

Thanks

Sal

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The plates came from America via the dubclique forum, as Dan who used to run it organised a group buy for the members. but you can get them made in the uk,

also other big news!! both my A4 and the MK1 are for sale!!!! im having a change and going for one fast everyday car...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right there has been a small change of plans.... the Audi is now staying. and the mk1 has had a minor update...

the old engine was running 1.8 with 8v a cam + a few other little bits and ~125bhp

that engine is now gone and living in another mk1 in kent....

the neeeww engine is 2.0 with 16v KR cams and mega squirt fuel injection...and a dirty big super charger from a merc!!! giving ~220bhp

there is also some plastic windows to go into to help shave a few more kilos... or 10+....

its not quite running right yet, but it just needs a little tweak, oh and it only took me 4 hours to pull the old engine out and then over a week to install the new one and get it running..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not been on here for a while as I have been mad busy with the cars and away on holz etc, but the mk1 engine is settling in, and still causing me head aches...

I went sprinting at Curborough a couple of weekends back, heres a vid of me going round for 2 laps (turn the speakers up LOUD! [:D])

but there is now a big list of jobs to be fixed / done over winter.

02A gear box and cable shifter, and clutch set up - old set up cant handle the torque....
re do the rear disc - one bolts starting to strip
new engine for oil probs - burning oil on the over run
new radiator for the cooling - still too warm for my liking
fit oil cooler - see above
rear brake lines with limiters
boot floor patched and rear arches done
fit the tinted plastic windows

Also theres a few treats for the audi in store in the next month, maily a RS4 rear ARB and being dropped on Weitec spings and shocks [H]

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Nice work - I can't believe I haven't read this before. How are you finding the audi ? I have an 08 plate b7 avant is it's a nice place to be in but I find it dull to drive - I know a remap would help but I can't justify it ATM

1 - 20 of 37 Posts