UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

When i bought my A3 it only came with one key. I am wanting to buy another key and get it coded but wondered if it was possible to use the newer key or not.

Cheers Steady

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a feeling there may be an issue, I could be wrong but if they are anything like VW when I had my Golf I had the same thing just one key and I wanted to use the newer style fob and could'nt.

They have codes on them which relate to what frequency they are set to communicate with your car. So I would check your engine code against the fob code this will tell you the frequency and then you will know what fobs to use.I hope that makes sense, I am sure if I am wrong someone will come along and say. Hope that will help for now though.

K [:D]

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am going to put an order in and see what happenes but apparently you can.

But, you can buy these ebay keys and switch the immo chip over but you have to be careful as they are glued and could be damaged.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Do you have to make sure that the ones off the bay are blank and uncut....id like to know what happens cos i only have 1 key and have nearly had a few heart attacks when i thought id lost it........there goes the back window...

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
[quote user="stevee"]

Do you have to make sure that the ones off the bay are blank and uncut....id like to know what happens cos i only have 1 key and have nearly had a few heart attacks when i thought id lost it........there goes the back window...

[/quote]

Surely, the window of choice would be a driver or passneger door window? Much easier to DIY replace with a replacement from a scrappy! [:D]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yeah true. Mind u my rear passenger windows are wind down and not electric...so they could be easier to replace...

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can buy a fob and blade off ebay BUT the serial number has to much your current key. Then you can get the blade cut and take it to audi who can recode it.They only charge £25 or so to do it.

What serial numbers are people after i have a spare one floting around somewhere of a 2003 model

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Cool thanks for that info. will start looking for key with those numbers

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That sounds pricy enough tbh if can get cheap off the bay then coded for £25 as someone reported....

·
Registered
107 Posts
You still need it coded to the imobiliser fellas.

I to thought about one off the bay but when I spoke to a few dealers, they were reluctant to code one not suplied by them.

Also paying the 160 is that should anything go wrong for two years, you can go down there and demand it be sorted !

You dont get that off the bay.

But yeh, still pricey !

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Thanks for that. I will have to check with my friendly service department if they would code a blank key and how much to code and cut etc.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Does anyone know how to use vagcom for setting up a new key? I have vagcom 311.2

·
Registered
107 Posts
[quote user="Stevee"]

bump

[/quote]

Steve,

As above, you can code the remote locking part of a new key but you cannot code the transponder to the imobiliser yourself / with vagcom. Audi only for that part.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
ah ok, so i better check that the dealer will code a Key if i give him a blank

1 - 20 of 31 Posts