UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After purchasing a used A4 (B6) from an independant dealer recently, who assured me that all his vehicle received a pre-delivery inspection, I discovered that the engine had no oil as I was miles between services on the motorway, with the driver's information system advising me to stop and fill up with oil immediately.

Will this warning show up on the ECU if I plug in a laptop and use Vag Com, so I can prove to the dealer that this event did occur?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
How much is "no oil"? Minimum level? How many miles have you done since you picked it up? PD TDI engines can use 1 litre per 1000 miles iirc. Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
It might and it mightn't. Did you pull over straight away and refill? How much did it need?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how much oil was in the engine, the warning appeared in the drivers information system and advised me to fill up with oil immediately. How does one do that on the motorway between services?!?! I did manage to obtain oil, but not immediately. I had just picked up the car from an independant Audi dealership. That turned out to be one of many problems I have discovered with the vehicle, needless to say I am now in dispute with the dealership.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It'll go as soon as the ignition is turned off and the bonnet opened.

KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON IT! Once the bonnet is opened, the car assumes that you opened it to add oil and cancels the error message for another 100km (or about that!) bloody crazy idea. So even if it drops again, the car won't tell you.

Do you have a camera phone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought information was stored on the ECU and can be retrieved a later date? Since getting home I haven't used the car as advised by consumer groups when in dispute.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It does store it in the ECU, but not everything and I don't think it gives a date of code. My car had 10+ faults on it when I bought it, all caused by the battery being disconnected - all cleared and never came back, but it wasn't me who disconnected the battery and I don't know when it happened.

If you put the ignition on now (don't start the car), it should pop up - was the symbol red or yellow?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[quote user="willy100"]

I don't know how much oil was in the engine, the warning appeared in the drivers information system and advised me to fill up with oil immediately. How does one do that on the motorway between services?!?! I did manage to obtain oil, but not immediately. I had just picked up the car from an independant Audi dealership. That turned out to be one of many problems I have discovered with the vehicle, needless to say I am now in dispute with the dealership.

[/quote]

By driving onto the hard shoulder and putting on hazzards..................[C]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[quote user="benjie"]

It'll go as soon as the ignition is turned off and the bonnet opened.

KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON IT! Once the bonnet is opened, the car assumes that you opened it to add oil and cancels the error message for another 100km (or about that!) bloody crazy idea. So even if it drops again, the car won't tell you.

[/quote]

Oil Pressure light should still come on if there is low pressure

·
Registered
902 Posts
Is the pressure light red or yellow?

Willy - long and short of it... They did a check on the car and pronounced it fit for purpose (the purpose, at its most simple level here, is for driving). Now, due to an oil problem, it's no longer fit for purpose. You should have contacted the dealer already saying there is a problem and asked them how they intend to rectify it. Call direct.gov and talk about it as they will give you a reference number and advice... something you can also tell the dealer when you speak to them... I found this changes attitudes rather quickly - My clutch replacement was reimbursed pretty quickly!

How long ago did you buy it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I am in dispute with the dealer who after two letters sent (recorded delivery)detailing my (many) complaints with the vehicle, have yet to respond in any way. Their website states how "We pride ourselves on our high quality used car sales stock to match our high quality customer service."

·
Registered
902 Posts
I know the dealer you mean.

You need to go in when other customers are there and kick up a fuss. Ask loudly why they haven't replied to your recorded letters.

Also, look here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live about 250 miles from the showroom, but I'm doing everything I can to get this sorted. I think the dealer is refusing to accept my recorded delivery letters...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts