UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks

So stamped on my engine block is 'ATD'. The footwell sticker also states ATD, as does the original documentation for the car. It states 74kw engine.

The 'ATD' engine, according to the A3 wiki page, is 74kw, 99bhp. Thus, I would expect this to be the '100bhp' engine.

My car comes up on insurance company sites as the 110, and was sold to me as the 110.

Which is correct? The documentation matches the engine, but most third party sites all say it is the "A3 8L 1.9TDI 110 SE".

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
ATD is 100bhp. The ATD is a PD engine and the 110 is the older style non pd engine

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's confusing. Why is the original documentation for the car wrong? It definitely says ATD and the engine in the car is definitely ATD, even the Askmid motor insurance database states it's "AUDI A3 1.9D (96-01) 3DR SE 110" so presumably this means I will pay the higher insurance premiums for the 110 despite the car only being 100bhp? Not massive amounts of money obviously but this is a bit of a cause for concern if an insurance claim is ever required on the car.

My car was first bought from Audi dealership in Dundee and registered with DVLA August 2003 (it's an '03' plate) by the woman I bought it from. I also note Askmid states my car is the '96-01' model, when I put my details into eBay or Autotrader, they say the year is 2000. So, has this car sat on a forecourt since 2000 until 2003?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WAUZZZ8L13XXXXXXX

Warranty Entitlement Record from Service Book states:

Model Designation: A3 TDI 1.9 R4

Engine Output/Gearbox/Month and Year of Manufacture: 74KW M5S 01/03

Engine Code/Gearbox Code: ATD EUH

I assume this means manufactured January 2003, with 74kw/100bhp ATD engine

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Its a 2003 car then for sure. And a 110bhp wasnt available in 2003 only the ATD 100bhp. Ps edit your last post to delete the last few digits just replace them with x's or something as shady people could use your vin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote user="Stevee"]

Its a 2003 car then for sure. And a 110bhp wasnt available in 2003 only the ATD 100bhp. Ps edit your last post to delete the last few digits just replace them with x's or something as shady people could use your vin.

[/quote]

Doh, that could have been a costly mistake. Post edited.

I presume I'm going to have to contact the DVLA to question this then, not sure exactly what systems insurance companies use to get details of the car, but whatever information that data source has, they are wrong.

Thanks for clarifying Steve [:)]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, found out across at UK-MKIVS...

My engine is the ATD. 100bhp in a VW, 110bhp in an Audi. Why? It is perceived Audi's are better cars - more power, better economy, etc. Suppose it makes sense, slightly higher BHP out of the same engine - in essence a slightly different ECU map - cleaner burning, less carbon deposits to build up as the turbo/EGR system will run at a higher PSI.

Glad I got that clarified, so would expect most diesel 8L's are probably the same. Same VW engine, just with a tweaked MAP to produce more power.

Same can be said for the TT which produces 20bhp more than the Golf R32 despite using the same engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts