UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
my wifes just purchased a cheap run around. It's an A3 1.6 SE on a P plate. It's in exellent condition for the year and milage. It's done 100000. I've noticed a few things that I thought you guys in the know may be able to help me with.

1. The temp gauge goes to 90 when it's stood ticking over but when it's moving it drops to zero. Could anyone tell me what could be causing this to happen ?????
2. Could anyone please tell me how I remove the oem head unit from the dashboard as it doesn't work.
3. I know it's only. 1.6 but it seems pretty sluggish, would cleaning the throttle body or anything simular be ready for doing that would restore the power back to normal.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does the car have A/C?

My 1.8t drops from 90 to 0 when driving. I don't have a/c and i know that the a/c condenser would block alot of air flow through the rad + be hot so the rad being generic is designed to take this into acount. I even changed my temp sender, no change :)

No idea on the head unit, mine's still ok...

As for perfomance, the MAF might be a good place to start? you can clean that with a good electrical cleaner, might see an improvement?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks.
Where abouts is the temp sender located and how much are they.
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
When the temperature is at 0 does the fan blow hot air into the cabin? If it does, then it's the temp sensor. If when at 0 there isn't as hot or warm air, then it's a thermostat gone south!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
As regards performance it could be many things. A scan with vagcom could help in cases of a maf etc. Maybe give it a good service, fuel filter, air filter, sparks. See how it feels after

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
To find the temp sensor- follow the top radiator hose to the thermostat housing. You will see the sensor plugged into the housing with wiring clipped to it

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
To remove the head unit, you'll most likely need a set of radio removal keys from Audi or ebay. Pop them into the slots and it should free the unit.

Some people have said that it can be done by cutting up an old credit card but the keys aren't that expensive tbh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts