UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I had my Emission Control light coming up today, it's not flashing, it's amber and it stays on no matter what :D

I've checked the fuses and stuff but everything looks ok, the engine is running good, doesn't missfire, I generally didn't notice anything wrong with it.

I've just coughed out £800 for new tyres and brakes so I'm not that happy going to Audi for diagnostics ;(

Anyway, if there is anyone with a VAGCOM and 30minutes of free time in London I would appreciate the info :) will pay out in beers I promise!

If not I think I may go for a cable, I heard Audi would charge about a 100 a go for diagnostics which is 1/2 of the cable price.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Im afraid im in NI so i cant help mate. I have vagcom or VCDS as its now known, but i also have a handheld fault code reader. It cost £20 off ebay... nothing really, and it reads codes and deletes them.

It doesnt provide live data like vagcom can or change settings, but its quick and easy.

This is the one i have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD2-VW-Audi-SEAT-SKODA-VAG-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner_W0QQitemZ270468868045QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ef93367cd

As regards your emissons problems, check the wiring to the lambda probes, its normally them that are dodgy when it comes up that error. Either that or they need replacement.

But a scan is needed really

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.The reader is what I really need and for a 20 I will get it in a moment :D

Now for the probes, I'm a programmer so even though I'm not stupid I don;t know much about cars :D If you give me a bit of info on how to get there/check I will sure handle it, but atm I have no idea what you are talking about;D

Heh, had it services by Carcraft as the TLC level one after 6 months of having it, interesting ;)

BTW, taht reader will be 100% compatibile with 8P?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yep they are compatible with 8P.

They are in effect o2 sensors, that are on the exhaust that measure the amount of o2 in the exhaust gas fumes so as to adjust the mixture of the engine so it runs efficiently and is better for the environment.

They can be found by following the manifold down to the exhaust. There is a multiplug that feeds them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried to have a look but failed ;)

From the bottom and from the engine compartment, everything is covered and stuff. Will wait for the test tool and see whats going on.

BTW its a 2.0TDi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for all the help,

I've ordered the reader it will be with me tomorrow hopefully :)

The socket is just above the accelerator, not covered by anything so should be easy to find.

I have another question tho,

I've had a look at:

http://www.vagcom.co.uk/

But the prices for their products are quite high. I've seen some other cables on ebay, anyone tried them?

Is there any other way to get to code the little tricks like auto window close without paying £200 for the full set from http://www.vagcom.co.uk/ ?

Say, get cheaper cable and buy only a software from vagcom.co.uk? Or maybe you can recommend any other piece of soft that will do the job?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
The ebay ones are ripoff versions of vagcom. I havent used them mate as i have vagcom registered. Some people say they work....but vagcom hate them with a vengence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohh, I didn't know it's a ripoff from vagcom, thought someone developed a similar software. me being a software developer myself don't like solutions like this ;) Will most likely go for the registered one once some money gets in :p

I've checked the car with my mate, just to have a look around, in neutral/cold if you step on accelerator it really smokes black, like big time black smoke.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Black smoke is as a result of overfuelling diesel, which could because of your emissons problem or if there is a break In the turbo / intercooler hose

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, so I've read about the overfuelling, in that case it would be the sensor isn't it?

It has 70k on the clock, heard is a time for the sensors to go :D

The turbo works ok, I didn't notice any decrease of power etc, dunno about the intercooler :D

Anyway, is it a pricey job turbo/intercooler hose?

BTW, I had the tyres and brakes changed by Iversons over the weekend, is it possible they could ruin something by doing it badly?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Either sensor or wiring to the sensor. Id look after that problem and then if its still smokey id check all the hoses for splits or bad seals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the reader today, but no help.

No codes found on the engine, the other sections show 'linking error', when I reset the engine codes the light disappear but then after two ignition on/off the light is back on.

Any idea?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I don't know why it says linking error. It doesn't say that with mine. Maybe get onto the supplier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts