UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering whether any of you guys use any sort of "anti-theft" device, other than the standard alarms, on your cars? If so, what are you using?

I might have to start leaving my car on a car park for a few hours at a time (during the daytime) so I'm thinking of buying something like a disklok or similar. I know that they'll be next to useless for the determined thief but I'm thinking of it as a deterrant - hopefully they'll move on to an easier target.

Any recommendations?

Dave.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
don't become a student - safest that way...

i thought diskloks were easy to get passed..if you know what you're doing ( which I don't, in case you start [:#] )

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start? Me? Noooo. [A]

Not a great deterrent then? [N] I'm sure most of those sorts of things are fairly easy to remove but I was kind of hoping that they'd put off the "chancer" types. That being said, would a chancer be able to by pass the immobiliser easily? Probably not, leaving the determined tea-leaf who wants the car regardless of any devices.

Hmmm, I think I might have talked myself out it!!

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
£70 to be precise (for the disklok). [:O]

You do realise that you'll now be held responsible if my car goes missing though. [:D]

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is really no way of getting the car without the keys is there? unless they get hold of you,in the car park on your own,and get the keys off you,and your phone,then start sticking things in which they shouldnt ......................................................................................................like petrol in your car because they didnt know.

But i wouldnt know what you can use,i have giac handheld flasher with kill switch on it but they still would know that but its still a good piece of kit,but think best advice is the oldest and still the best:dont leave anything on display for them to break in for

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote user="phil76"]

There is really no way of getting the car without the keys is there?

[/quote]

Apparently so. With the right kit, it's fairly easy to get past the immobiliser, so I'm told.

·
Registered
153 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

[quote user="phil76"]

There is really no way of getting the car without the keys is there?

[/quote]

Apparently so. With the right kit, it's fairly easy to get past the immobiliser, so I'm told.

[/quote]

Well you must know more than the mugs who pinch the ones we get in at work then because all of them are stolen with keys,you want to watch it dave the smack rats will be after your knowledge if you know an easier way,but if that is the case either a fuel cut-off or get it mapped by a company who can do you a kill setting like on mine so even if they get the keys if the car was put in kill when i left it there going know where in my baby

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a look at some of Imagewerx's posts over t'other side, he's said that it is possible.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, just found something. It's possible and, according to Chris, could be done within a minute with enough practice. [:O]

·
Registered
153 Posts
[quote user="damianmkv"]what happened to your grammer ? Eeee-yeeooouch ! Back OT, I thought the keys were a necessity on new cars ?

[/quote]

If thats aimed at me,sorry!,i'm doing one of those must go things to do moments,so typing quick but still waiting what the next reply is,so next time even more of a rushed answer

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote user="damianmkv"]what happened to your grammer ? Eeee-yeeooouch ! Back OT, I thought the keys were a necessity on new cars ?

[/quote]

Theives everywhere Damian. They've nicked his "." and "," keys. [clap]

·
Registered
496 Posts
[quote user="davemk"]

[/quote]

Theives everywhere Damian. They've nicked his "." and "," keys.

[/quote]

LOLL

But if they want it, they're going to get it.

Someone stole my Prelude 2.2 VTI last year which i bought as a project and it didnt even run - wasnt insured either and on my uncles drive

They loaded it on to a flat bed and off they went :S

Clifford alarms are good and they pay your excess if it gets nicked - I had one on my Golf and it use to beep when someone came near twice and then thrid time the alarm would go off. It was £400+ but you can pay monthly..

Will be getting one on the VXR (when i get it)

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote user="kaz219"]

LOLL

But if they want it, they're goingto get it.

Someone stle my Prelude 2.2 VTI last year which i bought as a project and it didnt even run.

They loaded it on to a flat bed and off they went :S

[/quote]

Cheeky scumbags!! They must have known it was a non-runner to have had the fore-thought to get a truck.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I park the van up behind it at night so he has to steal two sets of keys....

Which he has to come into our room for... [<:eek:)]

·
Registered
607 Posts
i keep my keys in my room in my trouser pocket! so if they do break in ill play the 'theyre down stairs' card then as they go back down ill follow them with my big stick from under my bed and cave their theiving skull in!!! and they'll be a fresh pile of dirt in my garden!!! i dont bother with extra security, if they want it bad enough they're going to have it either way! must admit though i think if they broke in they'd have to kill me to get upstairs in my house if i heard them down stairs!!!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
My house is in a good area, and they broke in for the keys to the Audi 18 months ago.....thieving scum. Police said its for the keys, the gangs have order lists of cars that they can sell.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts