UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tHE CAr was remapped the other day and all seemed well other than what I thought was a flat spot at 5000rpm im 5th gear, It's now apparent that the flat spot was a touch of clutch slip.

When I put it into 5th gear and accelerate hard from low revs the clutch is slipping a bit, it's done 60.000 miles so it was always in the back of my mind that the remap would worsen or make any weak components more apparent.

Does this mean I need a new clutch or is it just a matter of adjusting the clutch?

I know a new one wont be cheap, especially since I just forked out for the remap and two new tyres...gutted!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
New clutch mate, once it's slipping that's it. You will have to replace it with a upgrade if you want it to last. It's not normally a problem with the 2.0tfsi clutch though, it's going to be expensive. If you don't boot it then you might get it to last a couple months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not good....I'll need to come up with a plan of action for it, just spent nearly £500 between the remap and tyres.

I suppose it'll have to be an upgraded job as you say as I plan to be able to enjoy the car rather than tip toe aroiund it.

I'll start phoning around this week for prices......i'M pretty sure if it's needing done it would make sense to get the DV done too,

Cant believe my luck!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Daft question or comment but if your accelerating hard from low revs in 5th thats what is going to cause it,re-map tfsi have good grunt in 3 & 4 sowhy not just peg it down?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I thought it was only at 5,000rpm, but re-reading that it seems like your revving too low! Don't nail it under 4-3.5k, as the power isn't there anyway. Your just stressing the drvetrain

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll took it a bit easier today and it drives well as per norm, I'll peg it back a bit in the highter gears as it makes sense that I'm stressing the drivetrain.

Thanks for the advice, am I right in saying the ckutch may well be absolutely fine and the slipping is due to too much torque being applied too quickly?

If so I'm gonna leave things as they are and just be a bit more mindful of whats actualy going on under the bonnet. Might start a wee slush fund for an upgraded clutch for next year though...[:cool:]

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Your clutch is probably on the way out, but the way you are driving now will extend the life

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote user="Stevee"]Your clutch is probably on the way out, but the way you are driving now will extend the life

[/quote]Do you think I'd get away with a standard clutch when replacing?, If a standard clutch would see me ok for 30,000 miles I'd be happy enough.

It also depends on the cost difference between standard and an upgraded one, I understand most of the cost will be for labour thats unless I need a new flywheel too?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Clutch and fly is very labour intensive. I know few people that have remapped tfsi and standard Clutch is still going fine. It depends on the torque spikes of the map and how you drive. New clutch and fly (uprated) incl fitting will be over a grand. Oem is pricy too!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Genuine clutch should be fine if you drive correct as stevee says you have to drive it as it should be drove and not trying to accelerate from any gear in any speed just because you have some extra grunt

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
S4's are gorgeous cars, but you might be just as quick as some of them, it's not rare to see them rolling 300bhp. They must be heavy enough too. Oem should do you fine

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Dumping the clutch in first really does kill it off. You might even be able to smell it!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts