UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2001 (Y) A4 1.9 tdi (115 bhp), which recently appears to have lost some power. The first thing that happened was on start-up (cold or warm), occasionally the engine would over-rev for a short period of time, then calm down to normal running. I started noticing a distinct lack of power about 6 months ago, which has got progressively worse, to the point that it feels somewhat 'strangled' when trying to accelerate. On motorways, it now cannot hold 70 mph on the cruise control when going up any type of incline, and no amount of pressing the pedal seems to make any difference. I have read with interest countless forums, but there are so many differing views of what the problem can be. In desperation, last week I tried some fuel additive/cleaner. I'm not sure if it's my imagination (or just wishful thinking) but it does appear to have helped a little, and on occasion, the engine does pull much better before going flat again. I would welcome any suggestions as to what you think the problem may be. I'm not a mechanic (nor mechanically minded), so layman's terms would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Well mate. It could be so many things. It needs to get hooked upto vagcom for a scan really. As it could be maf. But a few Q's. Is there much smoke coming out of exhaust and what colour is it? Is it using any oil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, very little smoke coming out, a bit on cold start up only. Not using much oil at all, probably less than when we first got the car 8 years ago? Strange thing is, it is going through coolant water quite quickly, I have to top this up regularly about once every month.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
By how much do you have to top it up? Sometimes the 115's were known for dodgy headgaskets, where coolant seeps into engine. You will have to see if there is a leak of coolant somewhere or if not then it could be a headgasket. I think it's unrelated to the poor performance and over run on start up. It needs a scan mate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, a mechanic friend suggested that his problem could be with the MAF and to disconnect it to see if it made any difference. IT DID! The car flew. I've re-connected it now and it's gone poor again so it looks like that this may be the problem. I have to make a trip this weekend of around 800 miles, question is, if I disconnect the MAF for this, can it do any harm to the engine?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yeah I'd leave it disconnected. It's just giving a faulty signal to the ecu. The ecu will just use a set value for the maf.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You need to track down that leaking coolant mate... put a big bit of cardboard down each night and park on top of it... it may show where it's coming from. HOPE it's not the head gasket - open the oil cap and see if that's got any gooey scummy stuff around the top - that can indicate head gasket (amongst other things) Coolant can leak from the water pump too... they can fail and leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello guys, thanks for the input. I've checked where the water is coming from and it's actually coming out of the filler reservoir, from the overflow (the little oraface at the back/rear). It would appear that if too much pressure builds up (for whatever reason), then this is where it escapes. Problem is, why is there too much pressure on the water coolant system? Car seems to be going good without the maf, little down on performance/fuel economy, but otherwise pretty good.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'm afraid to say that exhaust gases do that If the headgasket is gone. A garage will hae to perform a sniff test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello guys, thanks for the advice. I've just completed an 800 mile trip back to the uk with the maf disconnected. I took the advice to go gently (not above 70!) and the car performed very well, albeit down on mpg from an expected 50 mpg to around 45 mpg. I was very loaded up with gear so not a bad result. The interesting aspect was, the car did not lose a drop of water from the coolant system. I've also checked the oil filler cap and it's clean as a whistle. Given this, am I correct i assuming that I probably need a new maf? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts