UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have an X reg Audi A4 Avant. Rain water is getting into the left footwell down the left side side behind the panel where all the wiring is. This is causing all the lights and instruments to go dead - no lights, zero readings - apart from the speedo which sticks at whatever speed it was showing. The car runs OK otherwise. After a few minutes it all comes back again usually in the start-up sequence i.e. the glow plugs light on first. I have stripped out the glove box and side panel and can see the water is somehow coming down the side and drips from some sound insulation material stuck on the side. I can't see above that to where it is getting in.

The scuttle drain is clear (I know about that problem from another A4 I had a few years back). The left hand corner where the windscreen and bonnet hinge are is directly above the leak but I can't see anything obvious.

Before I start taking out the fan unit etc has anyone else had the same problem or ideas where to start looking?

Frank

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Hi Frank, welcome to the forum, sorry I don't have any ideas, only has the window screen seal perished at all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi buddy,

Check to see if there is a pool of water in the firewall, if so clean plenum drain grommets as they are most likely blocked, not sure about yours but on my b7 a4 there are 2 plenum drain grommets, 1 under the battery and the other is under brake master cylinder. These plenum drain grommets often get blocked with leaves and other gunk.

Link

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/107241-plenum-chamber-drain-grommets-every-a4-b6-owner-affected-common-fault.html

Cheers

Sheldon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts