UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've switched to the other side after having a VW Golf MK4 for 4 years and being a member of the uk-mkivs site I bought myself a Audi A4 1.9 TDI Sport in December

Unfortunately I've had one of those cars where nothing seems to go right even if the car looks great. A week after buying the car my missus lost control on some fresh snow and hit the curb on the front passenger side, this scratched the plastic lower bumper slightly and caused the front passenger side to make a whirring noise when cruising along at 40mph + I've been told it could be wheel bearings, cv joint or drive shaft. Any ideas what I could do to establish the problem so I don't spend a fortunate on multiple part replacements which don't solve the problem.

Secondly, I've had problems with the aux belt. It started to squeek when turning at full lock and whilst driving home the tensioner broke and I lost all power steering etc We replaced the tensioner, cleaned the pulleys and replaced the belt and all was ok, however yesterday morning it started to squeek slightly again at full lock. Any ideas on this? Could it be the power steering pump on its way out or might it just need the power steering fluid changing?

So I've unfortunaly had these two continuous problems which I've not been able to repair and over the weekend some idiots keyed my car across the bootlid and across the back side boot panel.

Any help would be really appreciated, I'd much rather get this car repaired and keep it rather than sell it at a loss and get another car

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Welcome along! Well the squeeking could be the belt or the alternator pulley...... And a bash to your wheel like that would make me think the wheel hub/ bearing could be abit warped, even the brake disk. I doubt the cvs though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would of thought the wheel bearings would probably be the cheapest place to start so I might see about replacing the wheel bearings to start with and see how things go from there.

As for the squeek, its a new belt on so that should be ok. Never knew the alternator pulley was a common problem, is this is an easy replacement?

Also the other fault I had when I had my service carried out was a comment of "Temp Sensor / Engine Mount Solenoid Valves Intermittent" Any ideas what this means?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yeah, the alternator pulley on all VAG PD TDI's are a weakness (same engine). No biggie.

As for the other problem, I'd say plug it in to VCDS, clear the fault code, then go for a drive and see if it comes back!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
The temp sensor is only around ?15 iirc, it's not too bad, it relays to the ecu the engines temp for the ecu to adjust the mixture etc. If it doesn't work the car often gets more thirsty. When the temp sensor goes the ecu instead uses the fuel temp sensor reading. It's common on all vw/Audi cars too

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Ps, I wouldn't just replace the wheel bearing without checking it first, when you dismantle that side of the car. They are a sealed unit, and I think around ?80-90. Now youcan get cheaper bearings for around ?30 but I'm not sure how easy it is to open the bearing up.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Oh yeah, I didn't read his post properly Stevee... Make sure you get a green coolant temperature sensor, a rubber o ring to go with it AND a clip... part number 032121142... This is essential or the sensor will pop off & you'll lose all coolant whilst driving!

Sensor itself is ?25ish from Audi (got mine last month) and it's located STUPIDLY. engine cover off, there's a boost pipe running across the back - where the rubber tube joins with the hard plastic tube, under there. Odds are your current sensor is black. Be prepared to loose some coolant too.. I took off my undertray so I could position a funnel & catch the fluid... about 3litres.

It's in a really awkward place, so good luck, I can stick up a picture if need be to show you where the sensor is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks benjie that would be a good help! I'll give Audi a call and order the sensor and clip to do it, but the picture would be a good guide.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yep it looks alright mate. If you follow the top radiator hose all the way upto the thermostat housing, you can see the coolant sensor plugged into the housing. Take the clip out, remove the sensor and replace. Beware of loss of coolant, or, drain some off from the system by removing a radiator hose and let some drain off. That can make it easier. Its not an emergency job though just an advisory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I'll be getting the sensor and pulley done to sort two problems out.

The whirring noise is causing to be troubles and probably more expense. When I had it serviced, MidlandVW said it would probably be the wheel bearings. So I took it to a local garage to get a quote on getting them replaced and they had a look and took it for a test drive and said its not the wheel bearings. They want me to take the car back in for a better look because they can't be 100% after a quick look, they think it might be drive shaft or the differentials or maybe an Audi only fix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts