UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have just bought a 2001 A4 2.0 SE (B6) and it has an annoying issue. It has a list of symptoms which have to be connected. They are as follows...

1 - Alarm goes off when opening doors (even when unlocked) and when driving

2 - Central Locking only works when it feels like it (works off button inside car but not from lock or fob)

3 - Electric Windows not working (they were for a bit but then stopped)

4 - Interior Light remains on constantly (will turn off from button)

5 - Rapid clicking noise (like a relay click) from passenger side front carpet (the convenience unit area)

I have pulled up the carpet and there is no sign of damp or the car ever getting wet. I have unplugged the convenience unit (the ecu thats clicking) and it has cured the larm going off but obviously I no longer have locking / windows / interior light / alarm.

Has anyone ever come across this before and was it the convenience unit itself at fault or was it a wiring issue?

Thanks. Phill.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Check the wiring from the A pillar to the doors, they often break and corrode. If it's not them I'd say the convienience module could be a gonner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. Have checked all wiring from doors to a-posts and other than the odd small split in the insulation (which none were shorting out) couldn't find a fault. I unplugged all the doors from the multi plugs and then plugged in the convenience unit and the faults are still - alarm going off, convenience unit going mental (clicking noise) etc.

Would I be right in thinking convenience unit had had it?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've read about water getting in through the cabin filter, that then ends up under the passenger seat, right where the module sits. I believe they're £225 from a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, you've probably sorted this by now, but I have a similar problem which could explain most of the issues you have..

I think the clicking could be the actual central locking unit inside the passenger door, this would explain the interior light being on(i.e. car thinks door is open) and the issues with the central locking (I think Ive read somewhere that if there's a fault in the system then it can show itself in all sorts of ways).

Take the trim off the passenger door & see if the clicking is coming from in there, if so its's likely to be the central locking unit - its fairly easy to replace, but just beware where you source one from, as I had central locking issues only to buy a second hand unit which started clicking as soon as I connected it!

Hope this helps

Dan

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
[quote user="g15ost"]

Right. Have checked all wiring from doors to a-posts and other than the odd small split in the insulation (which none were shorting out) couldn't find a fault. I unplugged all the doors from the multi plugs and then plugged in the convenience unit and the faults are still - alarm going off, convenience unit going mental (clicking noise) etc.

Would I be right in thinking convenience unit had had it?

[/quote]

Did you ever change the central convienience and did it sort it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts