UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been looking at my friends A4 1.8T (1998) tonight, carried out some checks and the following immob code was up.

1 Fault Found:
01177 - Engine Control Unit
65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent

went right though the wiring, took out the dash etc cleaned all connections, anyway after loads of clearing the code etc attempt to start code comes back right away i checked the engine faults and found:

2 Faults Found:
16989 - Internal Control Module: ROM Error
P0605 - 35-00 - -
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

Now I have a problem with this car before and replaced the ECU relay cleaned the connections then but something led me to the ECU then and upon checking it I found it to be hot - too hot. anyway car worked ok so left it, until the other day it packed in (whilst driving) and had to be recovered.

so tonight i checked the ecu again, still hot. so i opened the ecu up to find it had a superchip fitted, but fitted with a huge blob of silicone under it and the silicone has smothered the chip beneath it.

This may be normal procedure?

Sent my friend away to get an ECU to try now but any had any experience's like this?

May be worth menioning the dash is in KM and after it does its checks it reads something in german so im guessing not original clocks? (can it be put back to miles?)

thanks

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Most of the components come up German. I'd say put in a new ecu. 2nd hand ones can be found for 50-100. Rather than chasing down all the wiring. The immo faults could of been there when clocks were changed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the offer but sourced one off ebay and installed it, changed the clocks to english too and all is fine with it now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts