UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got another audi after 2 years without and its a lovely tdi sport, 130pd.
Couple of niggles:
first is the fuel warning light, when i got it the fuel light was on however the needle was on about 2/3s of a tank, so i stuck a tenner in and it went above half, so the gauge does work.
I removed the fuel sender and cleaned up the contacts on the side of the unit, re-installed and thought i'd sorted it.. Then just below half a tank and the light comes on!! The gauge is reading correctly but the warning light comes on just under half a tank! (and I know it is half a tank as i stuck my head in there when i had the sender out!
Bit confusing!

Second one is the traction control light. Comes on every time after about 5 miles, turn the car off and it goes away.. 5 miles in, on it comes again
Stays on till engine is turned off. Brake lights working fine, no abs lights on.. I've got a basic scanner but it gave me no codes..
Appreciate any ideas.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
The traction control light will need to be scanned for. To see if theres any fault codes. Sometimes the cheap cables dont get everything, only engine codes.

The sender problem- the problem lies somewhere there with the sender as it changed when you took it out and cleaned it (just to state the obhious!!!)
It could be worth taking it out and fitting it again, cleaning the contacts to make sure the contact is good. Im sure theres away of testing the resistance the sender is giving out and checking that against specs but im not sure what they are.

The only other thing is to try and get another send to borrow or cheap 2nd hand?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have A3 1.9 TDI 2001., and same problem. The fuel gauge works perfect, but fuel warning light is always on. After visiting a few services, they found that the problem is in dashboard display and that this is the common problem with A3 displays (but only manufactured by Magneti Marelli). The problem lies in processor, and most common errors are: fuel warning light, temp gauge displays wrong temperature, display glitches....
It's not worth repairing, because it is expensive and they can't guarantuee that something else on display won't broke (it's very likely that it will). Either buying a new one or used but only VDO (not Marelli or Jaeger). So, i'm driving with fuel warning light on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts