UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i read this article in Decembers Audi Mag and i thought it could be of interest to all A3 TDi drivers!

"Hidden electrical issues can affect the Audi A3 TDi from 2005 onwards.with individual pump injectors. After covering more than 30k miles, this model can develop a strange but frustrating judder between 3500 and 4200rpm in fourth, fifth and sixth gears. The judder mainly occurs under heavy load and is very noticeable. THe cause of the fault is the electrical contacts on the individual pump injector units within the cylinder head. There is a short wiring loom which travels inside the cylinder head and feeds each PD unit individually. Each PD unit requires a signal and a power feed but, as they are located deep inside the cylinder head, it would be very difficult to connect them to the main wiring loom without this short adaptor loom. The adaptor loom carries all connections for the PD units and is installed when the engine is built. You can see the large, round plug at the rear of the cylinder head, this plug connects it to the rest of the engine bay wiring system.

The fault occurs because the electrical contacts can become weakened by vibration over long periods. They then make and break a contact very rapidly, virtually resonating with the basic vibration that occurs in the engine speed range, In some cases, you may find a recorded fault suggesting open circuit on one or more injectors, but this is not always the case. It is also very difficult to reproduce with a cold engine or with the car stationary.

If you experience this symptom, the only way to check it is to remove the engine cam cover and physically inspect and electrically test these terminals. There is an uprated and modified electrical loom which cures the problem and should prevent it occuring again, Only the upgraded loom is available, so, rest assured, if you replace it you wont get another iffy one. The part number is 03G 971 033D.

There you go guys! its taken awhile to type but i hope its of use to someone out there!!!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure.....the Audi mag just said Tdi......so id assume that it means all Audi Tdi???? and by extension is there a chance all VAG TDI's would of been fitted with the same loom?

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
Is it just my cynical side but the average mileage is 10k per year, so 30k would be over 3 years old and outside of warranty.............

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah true i didnt think of that. I wonder could you still go to Audi and say that it should be a recall item??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts