UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a new UK-Audis.net user, having been a MK-IVS user for a year or so.

Having owned a Mk IV GT TDI 150 for a couple of years, I'm now in the market for an A3 2.0 TDI S-Line. With this in mind, does anybody know of any good buyer's guides? Or does anybody have any pearls of wisdom they'd like to share about their ownership experience? Are there any common issues I should look for as I search for suitable example?

My Golf suffered from a dodgy MAF, a dodgy coolant temp sensor and the (worringly) common camshaft/follower wear issue. Is the A3 commonly afflicted by any major issues? Does the DSG 'box prove to be reliable?

Finally, what should I be paying for a 2005 model with 40-50,000 miles on the clock ? A friend of mine recently got an 05/54-plate from an Audi Main Dealer for £9,200 - is that a good price?

Apologies to everyone for my bombardment of questions! If they've already been addressed in other threads, please redirect me and I'll peruse them.

Cheers all!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You have friends???

You'll no doubt have a hangover bythe time you read this too?

Good luck with the searching, anything I can do to help - you know where to get me!

As we have already spoken about - it's worth getting one with a warranty.

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
The early 8P TDI's had problems with the heads. Check the oil filler cap for any "mayo" type residue - this could be an indicator.

Listen out for worn wheel bearings on the test drive. Seems to be another thing that wears prematurely from what I've read.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps.

DaveMK, what problem exists with the heads? I'm assuming that the 8P refers to the A3s made after 2003?

Cheers

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
My understanding is that the early models (and I think you're right with 2003 onwards) heads are, or become, porous.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The commond faults on the A3s 8P are the Intake Manifold Flap, The bearings and the head.

The IMf jams needing to be changed which is around £200 forthe part and an hours labour.

There is an issue on some models where the flywheel causes the car to run rough.

Apart from that, the A3 is fairly bulet proof.

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts