·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

First post so please take it easy...<o:p></o:p>

Original problem: every so often (i.e. once every few weeks) my A3 would start over-revving (up to 3-4 K rpm) on its own whilst I was driving. The only way to stop it would be to switch off the engine and give it a 5-10 min rest before re-starting. <o:p></o:p>

I did some online research and 'dirty throttle' or 'dirty MAF' kept coming up so I decided to clean both (with appropriate and specific cleaners).<o:p></o:p>

I disconnected the negative battery terminal, took off the air intake hose from the air filter to the throttle housing and cleaned the, rather dirty, throttle body in situ. (I tried to avoid directly spraying into the housing) I separately removed and cleaned the MAF without touching the filaments. <o:p></o:p>

I let all the cleaners dry off before putting everything back together.<o:p></o:p>

I reconnected the battery and did a 'ECU reset' (i.e. key in the on position, wait a while, turn on, let it idle (without pressing the accelerator&#8230;).<o:p></o:p>

I've now driven it for 200 or so miles. <o:p></o:p>

On the up-side, no more over revving, on the down side, the car now high idles (~ 1000 to 1200 rpm).<o:p></o:p>

I've checked and sprayed all hose connections to check for leaks and they're all fine.<o:p></o:p>

Why the high idle? Maybe I should have completely removed the throttle body before cleaning, maybe I've dislodged the throttle sensor?....<o:p></o:p>

My question is: how do I reset / realign the throttle position sensor? <o:p></o:p>

Is there a screw which I can adjust manually or do I need VAG-COM?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
17 Posts
It would be a vaag-com situation to see whats wrong with your idle issue.

It could possibly be an EGR valve issue.. highly doubtful you have "dislodged" anything as these sensors are fairly sturdy and can take a beating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts