UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I looked at an A3 1.6l yesterday which seemed great but i could here a ticking noise coming from under the bonnet. On closer inspection it was coming from a component next to the engine, if you're looking at the engine from the front, this component was half way up on the left, inbetween the radiator expansion unit, the power steering unit and the windscreen washer refil. It had 3 leads coming from it. Can anyone either supply an engine bay schematic or tell me what this is please and if this ticking is common to A3's or if it is a big problem? (sorry for my lack of technical knowledge here!!)

One of the leads coming from it was electrical and when disconnected the ticking stopped and the Traction control warning light came on on the dash - would i be right to presume the unit in question is the traction control unit?! Expensive to fix?

Any info would be much appreciated. I obviously didnt buy the vehicle concerned as i didnt know what the problem was and the seller (a trader from his house) was not willing to get it investigated. But if its a small problem i would happily still buy.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Who said it shouldnt tick? i wouldnt have unplugged it,a lot of things make noises with them been electrically or by vacuum,its probably nothing to do with traction control tbh but it might be on the same fuse as the traction,the circuits are inter-linked strangely on vw,audis,skoda's etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
have a look at the part i have highlighted if is the one ,my old golf used to do it all the time . I think its some type of filter and its normal it usually does it on start up from cold i think hope this helps

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I should imagine its carbon cannister or maybe some kind of resonator or even some kind of vacuum for the brake system,but i wouldnt worry about it ticking mate like i said its probably just how it operates,stick your head under any bonnet on even brand new cars and you will hear loads of noises like this

·
Registered
54 Posts
Charcoal filter - defo. All 5 of my golfs do it/have done it.

Nothing to worry about. At least you know its working.

Just get the car vag commed if your worried and see if any faults come up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the traction control/ESP control unit (on the A4 at least) is just in front of the handbrake lever under the centre console...dont know about the A3 but it may be in the same place??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts