UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lifted this out of this months Audi mag....maybe of use to some v6 owners.

"this month i am going to take a look at the 3.2 v6. Not the wide-angle unit fitted to the a4, a6 but the narrow "vr6" unit fitted to the TT and A3. A seemingly minor issue can cause abit of a mess and might result in possible wiring and even engine ECU damage.

During the cooler months, moisture can build up in the inside of the bonnet. This small amount of water can drip from the bonnet and fall directly onto the engine itself. These v6 models have no sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet, presumably because you would not want to deaden the sound from the v6, and nor is there an engine cover as you get with the 4 cylinder models.

Over time, this water can make its way down the ports in which the ignition coils sit. on 4 cylinder models there is a ribbed, rubber seal around the top of the coil packs, but again not on the v6. the water can cause fairly bad corrosion of the spark plugs and eventually the coils themselves can be corroded.

If the corrosion gets bad enough, which it can do quite easily, the coils and plugs begin to loose their efficiency and so the first thing that you may notice is a slightly less than perfect idle., with white fluff being apparent.

Once the corrosion works its way up the coil towards the top, the coil can fail electronically. Once failure begins, a misfire will become clear, not only at idle but throughout the entire rev range.

The result can be coil failure. If the coil shorts it can cause possible electrical damage to anything on the same curcuit such as the engine ECU and even the dash cluster.

If you do replace the plugs and coils, it may be worthwhile applying a small amount fo sealant to the upper plastic diameter of each coil where it sits in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ouch - that doesnt sound too good.

There's also an issue on the timing belt chain breaking on the 3.2 V6s too...

Still think the v6 and vr6 are awesome engines :D

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that a common fault with the 3.2 leading to a recall? Sure VW will do all they can not to recall anything!

·
Registered
106 Posts
that can happen and i have seen it happen

went to see a a3 3.2 quattro and the top of the head was full of water, sucked it up with a sucker and luckily it didnt go past the coil pack, though one thing i did notice with these new engines is that the coil packs are fairly loose, while on my 2004 .:R its pretty tight.

hafizur

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Th only fix is probably to retrofit the sound dampner under the bonnet. I Hoover mine lol. Ok...... That's sad....where's my coat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for that steeve! [Y]

I'm guessing that if this is the problem then it could end up causing major damage?!

I havent really noticed a misfire recently tho and the problem just seemed to happen instantly!

Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts