UK Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, just wanting some opinions on what to do with my car/problem. I have an A4 B5 1.8t quattro. About 2 years ago I (idiotically) overfilled it with oil - and it died. Engine was wrecked. I tried to source a new unit for it over the next couple of months, but my money situation defeated me. For about 2 years it has been sitting outside my house gathering dust/snow. I live near Glasgow, Scotland, so the winters have been fairly biting.

When I had it fully looked over after the engine died, every other area was in A+ condition (gearbox, clutch, interior etc). The reason for this was I purchased it off of my friends aging mother, who bought the quattro model without realising, so I couldn't believe my luck!

Can anyone give any estimations to how much they think it might be worth? Or whether I should scrap it, sell it or trade it into a business like copart - for example.

Thanks in advance, hope I was not too vague.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
What was the diagnosis into the conclusion that the engine was kaput?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bud, sorry about that. I'm not the most technically minded person in regards to cars but I gather that the oil got sucked throughout the engine bay and had a fairly serious knock-on effect. Turbo was full of it, turbo blades were shattered, engine block/cylinders flooded etc. I've actually lost the break downs of damage that 2 garages gave me, suffice to say, it was screwed. It would have worked out more expensive to replace individual components than to pay for a new unit. Sorry I can't be much more accurate. I should probably also mention that I ran the car after I added the extra oil into it for a good bit of time, until it literally ground to a halt. And I put a fair bit in as well. Christ, what an idiot I am.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yes it sounds screwed but a easy mistake to make.
What year is the car? Check out other 1.8 quattros around you that are the same year and see what they would make, and then see what the balance of fixing your own is. When i say fixing your own i mean getting another second hand engine.
Then ring scrap dealers to see what they would take. Something to think about though is that the longer you leave it- the worse it is for the car. When you factor in the price of fixing the car, also price in a good service- cleaning brakes and changing some of the fluids.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I have tried to source a new engine and some of the smaller jobs to prime the car a little for a re-birth. But what I was most concerned about is the state of other big components i.e gearbox, clutch, brake discs etc. The potential end cost makes me very dubious about the project. Do you think it might be worth paying to get it lifted to a garage and having someone take a look? Or would you say it would be too far gone to even bother? Because as I said, the rest of the cars internals were in A+ condition beforehand. Have you heard of many stories of cars being left for 2 years without an engine then being restored without too many headaces?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Id imagine to be honest that it would be fine. Apart from a good clean up. Its a bit of a gamble- but id gamble on it being ok.
It depends though on the cost of the engine, fitting, and a service and what it would be worth afterwards vs the scrappage price

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm actually just off the phone to copart and also a local scrap dealer, both have offered me between £100 and £150 to scrap or buy. Not a good result. Might end up taking the restoration plunge. Ready yourself, bank account!!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I hate to see cars scrapped and want to keep them going but a engine and fitting and service will get up there too

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, it's a tough one. If i'm feeling particularly flush one month, I might give it a go.

Thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts